Had to shut down this morning

brandonh98
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Hyfire

Post by brandonh98 » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Woke up this morning and it was 58* outside. Went downstairs to check on the stove and had lots of moisture on the hopper lid. CO detector was still reading 0 ppm. I just cant hold draft when it's this warm out. I'll be starting back up tomorrow morning or tomorrow evening.

Anyone else have to shut down due to warm temps today?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Good time to clean the stovepipe.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 11:06 pm

I was watching the CO monitor and the manometer closely today too. I didn't shut down but i did put foil over the baro.

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 7:55 am

Same here...Last few days temps were in the high 50's and low 60's...Since the AK-110 idles down so far, I loose draft and get just a hint of smell from the baro registering not more than 10 ppm or less on the CO monitor. I could increase minimum feed to possibly over-come this, something I can experiment with later... So for the time being, I'll just shut down when temps rise like this and use the time to clean the furnace and chimney. I have automatic propane gas logs and a ceramic 3 burner heater that I can rely on during those temps. I do whatever I can to keep the electric meter from spinning off the wall!

Originally, I purchased a draft booster to help with draft when temps rise to above 50°, but don't think I'll install it at this point. After thinking it through, I don't want to have to take the fan off the pipe to brush the pipe...Still in the learning curve with this furnace, but loving the heat!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 8:14 am

do you have a coaltrol? increase your min a bit. I think I have mine at 8 or 10 . it'll add a little more heat to make more draft. It might make the house a little warmer than you need to, but it helps. Do you have a baro damper? sometimes covering that help with aluminum foil when it's warm, adds a bit more draft to the stove.

I have a hyfire and don't have a problem with keeping a draft when it's warm, i do have a 35' brick chimney that goes up thru the house.

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 12:38 pm

WNY wrote:
Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 8:14 am
Do you have a baro damper? sometimes covering that help with aluminum foil when it's warm, adds a bit more draft to the stove.
Hoping this helps the OP and others...I've never covered the baro with aluminum foil when it gets warm out....Something I'm going to have to try....Here is a picture of my Baro....It seems to have a fairly large gap around the flapper. Is this normal? I'm thinking this might be adding to the issue. I don't have the luxury of having a 35ft masonry chimney!

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 1:00 pm

The gap is fairly normal looking to me. A bit more than a Field Controls model RC.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 1:03 pm

lsayre wrote:
Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 1:00 pm
The gap is fairly normal looking to me. A bit more than a Field Controls model RC.
It does look a bit more the the Feild Controls RC i have.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 5:52 pm

does look like a little bit of gap around it, would affect draft on the stove itself. assuming you have a draft gauge to monitor it. Mine will go way down the -.01- .02 when it's really warm out, but never get condensation in my hopper. i increased the idle burn a bit so it can overcome the draft difference in temperatures.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 5:55 pm

brandonh98 wrote:
Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 9:54 pm
Anyone else have to shut down due to warm temps today?
You stoker guys are funny, talking about shutting down "today".
If the weather is warm and the hopper is full, it takes me about four days to shut down. :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 5:57 pm

You & me both RB. :)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Never seen such an animal as that. Might have it's place but not where you are trying to use it.
If it were my baro I'd get rid of it. And get a Fields "M" for coal. (be forewarned, a couple guys think "M's" are no good and will chime in)
How the heck can you tweak that leaker w/ a manometer for any low draft setting.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Yes, the gap is a little big. I know; I have one just like it. I also have a "fields Controls" one with much less of a gap.

2biz

Post by 2biz » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 8:32 am

WNY wrote:
Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 5:52 pm
does look like a little bit of gap around it, would affect draft on the stove itself. assuming you have a draft gauge to monitor it. Mine will go way down the -.01- .02 when it's really warm out, but never get condensation in my hopper. i increased the idle burn a bit so it can overcome the draft difference in temperatures.
I do have a monometer and have seen it below .02....And only got condensation in the hopper once when it got to 65° outside. But this was also before I put in the cold air supply for the combustion blower. I think I'll look into the feilds control baro and raise the minimum feed. For you guys, its not rocket science. You've been there done that! Its all about tuning for the optimum!

OK....On to another dumb question!!! Why does it take some 4 days to shut down? Am I doing something wrong by having a full hopper of coal and shutting down??? Maybe I'm reading too deeply into the comments!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 9:42 am

-02 draft coming in thru that make up outside air PVC pipe might be your 'bottle neck' on warmer days.

Derating for all bends and turns and total footage length leave a smaller equivalent PVC pipe than the physical size.

Resistance to flow is a enemy of air volume.. Try cracking a window earlier on some warmer day and see if it's different.

Increasing idle fire can help, but if more make up air can help too, why not then.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”