Convert From Tri-Burner?

franknbaum

Post by franknbaum » Thu. Jun. 19, 2008 3:41 am

Should I convert my Channing from a tri-burner? If so why and more importantly how.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Jun. 19, 2008 7:45 am

Yes, the single motor for both combustion fan and stoker motor is not an efficient set up. The cfm output is not linear with respect to the stoker coal delivery rate which ultimately leads to wasted unburned coal at the lower fire rates. I would recommend the following:

1. Purchase Coal-Trol, if you want the possibility for an automatic igniter the Digital Standard model is what you want, if not the Digital Basic will be fine.
2. Remove the plastic fan wheel and install a 60 cfm or less combustion fan over the opening, see attached pic for example. fans are available on ebay or from companies like this: http://j6.justaddcommerce.net/order/j5cart.aspx
3. Install a speed control (available from same supplier in link above) on the fan and use a manometer hooked to the stove firebox to measure draft when the stove is burning at high rate and min rate of fire while setting up the Coal-Trol. This will allow you to set and mark the fan speed for best stove pressure (should be -.02" to -.03" WC).
4. Optional final step is to replace the hokey threaded rod linkage with rod ends as shown in the attached picture.

Then just enjoy a stove that works as well as anything out there on the market today. :D

Attachments

P1010089.JPG

Linkage mod

.JPG | 146.9KB | P1010089.JPG
P1010093.JPG

combustion fan mounting and Coal-Trol

.JPG | 147.3KB | P1010093.JPG

franknbaum

Post by franknbaum » Mon. Jun. 23, 2008 2:07 am

Thanks for the reply I will do the conversion and get the Coal-trol

Hondaracer2oo4

Post by Hondaracer2oo4 » Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 7:45 pm

I have just bought a Reading Alleghany RS96. Im not quite sure how old it is but it is an older model. It is of the tri-burner type. I would like to convert it like you have shown but your links no longer work. Is the fan on the side of the stove in your picture similar to a computer fan? How does it force air through the intake mounted in the fashion it is? Mine seems to pull air from below the feeder motor. Also where would I be able to obtain one of those rods similar to the one you have installed? Thanks, I am new to this whole thing.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 8:44 pm

Is the fan on the side of the stove in your picture similar to a computer fan? How does it force air through the intake mounted in the fashion it is?
The fan you are referring to is the cooling fan for the stoker unit. The combustion fan conversion is the fan mounted under the stoker mechanism.

You can also buy the cheap bathroom exhaust fan from Braun/Nutone at the HD and use that, around $14.00.
ALASKA CONTROLS 03-16-08.JPG
.JPG | 656.5KB | ALASKA CONTROLS 03-16-08.JPG
CONTROLS3.JPG
.JPG | 693.7KB | CONTROLS3.JPG

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 8:48 pm

4. Optional final step is to replace the hokey threaded rod linkage with rod ends as shown in the attached picture.
Matthaus, how do you adjust the feed rate with the rod ends? Do you use a rheostat? The rheostat that I am using doesn't give enough control of the rate, I still have to adjust the tab in the threaded rod to the carpet. Adjusting the rheostat from the lowest point to the highest will make a difference in the width of the burning coal on the grate, but only by about an inch or less. Turning the tab on the threaded rod one turn makes a big difference.

Hondaracer2oo4

Post by Hondaracer2oo4 » Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Ok so the idea is to remove the fan blades inside the air intake for the stove to the grate and replace it by hooking up a 60cfm blower to the back of the intake? But Woodncoal your set up looks like the fan is feeding where the blower motor used to be that just blows hot air to the room but has nothing to do with combustion? Am I wrong? Thanks!

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Sat. Sep. 13, 2008 3:11 am

My set up is pretty much like Wood'ncoals set up. Bath exhuast fan, aluminum flex pipe and a 90* elbow run into the air inlet below the stoker motor.

Attachments

Aug24#30.JPG

Combustion air supply

.JPG | 91KB | Aug24#30.JPG

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Sep. 13, 2008 4:36 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:
Matthaus, how do you adjust the feed rate with the rod ends? Do you use a rheostat? The rheostat that I am using doesn't give enough control of the rate, I still have to adjust the tab in the threaded rod to the carpet. Adjusting the rheostat from the lowest point to the highest will make a difference in the width of the burning coal on the grate, but only by about an inch or less. Turning the tab on the threaded rod one turn makes a big difference.
Coal-Trol, that way you can set up the feed rate to match the linkage. You can also adjust the stroke with the turn barrel. Parts used are:

Grainger:
6G227 LH rod end (teflon lined, no lube needed)
6G195 RH Rod end (teflon lined, no lube needed)
3M095 gear motor
2X736 collar

And you need a AN155-32S turn-barrel to connect the rod ends. Wicks Aircraft supply among others are a source for these.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Sep. 13, 2008 7:27 am

But Woodncoal your set up looks like the fan is feeding where the blower motor used to be that just blows hot air to the room but has nothing to do with combustion?
The fan duct is attached to the opening that draws air into the stoker housing and then through the burn grate. You have to remove the plastic squirrel cage attached to the shaft of the stoker motor first.
Coal-Trol, that way you can set up the feed rate to match the linkage.
Ah yes, the Coal-Trol...I see now. Thanks for the item #'s and info.

Hondaracer2oo4

Post by Hondaracer2oo4 » Sun. Sep. 14, 2008 12:59 am

I have been looking for a combustion fan on ebay of the squirrel fan type. None of them seem to display the CFM amounts. Ive been looking on some websites and they seem to be about 70.00 dollars. I would rather get something from ebay for around 20 obviously. I was wondering if you guys had any insight into the fans on ebay or a good distributor online that was cheap. Thanks!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”