coal trol help

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 7:12 am

With the -14 temps this morning my stove is losing ground. I know in the past it would keep up (barely) at these temps.
I had to get a new coal trol unit 5 years ago because the old ones clock stopped working right. This morning with my feed rate maxed out
my convection blower is not. It is running roughly 80%. I have put the blower on manual at 99%. Question is, why does it not go to 99 by itself? What setting needs changed so this will happen? I liked my old coal trol much better.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 7:21 am

Try cleaning the blower fan blades with a toothbrsh. Dust and hair collect in the cup of the blade and can cut the volume of air in half easily.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 7:28 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 7:21 am
Try cleaning the blower fan blades with a toothbrsh. Dust and hair collect in the cup of the blade and can cut the volume of air in half easily.
No, it is not a dirt issue. I can physically hear the change in motor rpm's when I go from auto to manual 99%.
It has to do with some sort of setting on the coal trol. The feed rate is maxed out and has been for some time. I would have thought the convection blower would be maxed out by now too.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 1:28 pm

If the feed rate is at 99 then the blowers should be at max CFM speed. Thats strange. It does take a little time for it to respond to temp changes.
mine have been at max for a few days, they do cut back when feed rate drops, but not to often lately. LOL

Whats your MIN/MAX and other settings in the coaltroal. ?

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 2:58 pm

my coal trol has been at max for days......85,000 btu in the basement just isn't enough.

scopemounts
Other Heating: Oil well gas

Post by scopemounts » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 8:04 am

I just purchased a 2008 Keystoker 90 stoker with coal-trol (CM2-4 - TS2) & power vent that fits onto the 6" top exhaust. I don't need the power vent so I have disconnected it. I am ready to fire the stove after painting & new door gaskets. I did a test to make sure the fan motors & stoker motor turn on & they don't. I here a click like a relay is trying to turn them on but no power. They do run plugged directly into a outlet. I am wondering if disconnecting the power vent had something to do with this problem or is my problem in the CM2-4 control? I believe the coal-trol could have been factory installed as it was purchased from a dealer as a demonstrator & I don't believe I could run this stove without the coal-trol as I don't see any control boxes other than those used for the coal-trol. If it's the CM2-4 control can they be repaired & where? It's getting close to needing the stove & I am lost!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 8:38 pm

If all the blowers work external to the coaltrol, make sure they are plugged into the correct outlets/cord plugs.

ALSO, on some coaltrols, you have to put a jumper in the power vent fuse or something on it if you have a direct vent or not? does it have a flue switch wired in to the coaltrol? Check the manual or their website for settings or it's in the setup of the thermostat. it's probabaly a setting or jumper.

The Combustion blower should come on immediately when you power up the coaltrol, the convection blower and stoker will only run when it needed. stoker should cycle on /off depending on heat requirements, the convection blower will kick up once the feed rate gets to a certain point.

if not, get a hold of CoalTrol (http://www.automationcorrect.com/) Neil or Paul are usually really good at trouble shooting them.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”