Coal Stove doesn't seem to be pushing out enough Heat?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Tee bar is what you adjust to have the manometer set just right to match Keystokers recommended draft setting.

Too much and you are sending heat outdoors...too little and fire is stifled...carefull here as Carbon Monoxide can back up into house.

You do have a working CO Detector, right?

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 2:16 am

Your going to have to turn the temp higher than 75 to produce enough heat to reach those outer rooms. Once the thermostat reaches 75 your the stoker will go into idle mode and heat output will drop a lot. In this kind of weather you need to be running steady on higher output. Of course it will be warmer around the stove ,and cooler the farther you get from the stove. Your trying to heat a whole house with a space heater,which can be done but usually with the assistance of some fans to move the heat around ,and to keep the thermostat from shutting down the feed. Im not sure what you mean by the door/pull bar, take a pic of that.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 7:45 am

Riviawolf wrote:
Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Also - they are using Rice Anthracite - is that going to provide a difference in heat quality, compared to standard Anthracite?

Yeah the air feels warm at only 75 degrees, that's with sticking my finger IN the ventilation spot where the air comes out.

Definitely odd - because if you put your finger up to the vent where the air comes out, hell.. even IN the vent a little.. it doesn't seem all that hot. Just warm - at 75 degrees.

Also - after speaking with him - he mentioned the stove seems to be attached to a thermostat and is going off of the temperature in the living room. But he feels once it reaches a good temp in the living room - it stops and slows down and will not heat any further. Thus making the rest of the house feel cold.

This post seems to maybe be related to my issue? Should I take some advice from there as well?
"Rice" is the size of the anthracite coal. Anthracite is sold in different sizes (rice, nut, stove, buck, pea) that different stoves are able to burn. You are burning the correct size for your stove.

From what you currently describe I think the stove is operating normally. At this point I do not think you have the issue the other thread discussed.

The thermostat setting tells the stoker when to go into heat mode and if the 'stat doesn't call for heat it is in 'idle' mode maintaining a fire for when a call for heat happens. Air coming off the stove when in idle mode will not be very hot just as you describe. You may want to change the location of the 'stat to a room that is cooler so the 'stat calls for heat longer. You will need to figure out what to set it to so the temps in other rooms hit your target. Our stoker is in the basement, the 'stat is located upstairs in a room next to the LR. It is set to 69 which allows temp in LR to get to 70 routinely.

Heat distribution from a stove location can be challenging depending on the house layout. It will be trial and error for you to see what works best to even out the temps room to room for that house. Most have found that using a fan to get cooler air back to the stove helps more than pushing the warm air away from the stove.

Don't mess with the direct vent until you have the manometer. Get a couple CO monitors (like the Kidde nighthawk) .

Good job jumping in to help out. You may be catching the coal bug and getting a unit for your own house someday! :yes:

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 9:29 am

need to move the thermostat further away from the stove.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove

Post by k-2 » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:29 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 9:29 am
need to move the thermostat further away from the stove.
Or simply turn it up. Turning it up has the same effect as moving it. Moving a thermostat takes time,this cold wave will be over in 2 days.

csstoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II

Post by csstoker » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 11:30 pm

it may be the way the pic is of the stove idling, but the blue flame isn't drawing towards the hopper is it?

aseecobra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K triple wall with 350cfm blower.
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by aseecobra » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Rivia,

Is your grate width 8" ?
If so, its a 105K.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 6:38 pm

it may be the way the pic is of the stove idling, but the blue flame isn't drawing towards the hopper is it?
Check that seal at the back of the stoker, I suspect it is leaking. That gave me my first and only hopper fire on a Keystoker

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”