Not Another Generator Thread?!

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 7:26 pm

So this isn’t another generator thread, not exactly….But since this IS generator Season, anybody out there tired of over filling and spilling gas everywhere when filling the genny tank? Or any gas tank? You ever tried one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HEBR3I/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1

I discovered it this summer when I was helping my 80 year old mother figure out a better way to fill the JD rider…Believe it or not, she just started complaining how heavy the 5 gallon cans were getting! She still mows about 2 acres….She likes the pump so well she bought a spare! And I got me one too!

With one of these, you’ll never spill another drop unless you try! Not only is it the perfect way to fill a small tank, but it’s also the best way to get fuel out of a tank too. How many times have you pulled the genny out when you need it the most, only to find you have stale gas, a gummed up carb, and she won’t start? This gadget makes it soooo easy to pump out the gas in the Spring Time or anytime. Its only $15.99 and with (2) “D” size batteries, it pumps 1.5 GPM and pumps up to 500 gallons on one set of batteries.

There are some other ones out there like the Terra Pump….But the one I linked to above is the cheapest and it works perfectly. (Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB5684 ) I tried searching the site to see if this has been brought up before but couldn’t find anything. If you’re tired of how difficult it is to fill a gas tank, then give this gadget a try. You’ll wonder how you missed it!

BTW, just picked up this nice Generac 2200w Inverter Gen....I definitely wouldn't want to spill gas all down the front of it!

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 8:13 pm

Cool Beans. Why did you go with the Generac?

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Excellent Reviews....Longer Run Times (10.75 hrs @ 25% load) with larger 1.2 gal tank....Good price ($599) compared to Honda of similar size (EU2000 $999). This one is the GP2200I....Its the stripped down version of the IQ2000 for $200 less....I didn't need all the bells and whistles the IQ has....Plus I read where the Honda uses a plastic cam and belt drive for the valve-train that could be problematic. For me that was a turnoff. I know Yamaha has a good reputation, but nobody around here sells them.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 9:05 pm

I bought a suction one from NAPA years ago, and it didn't do very well. Might as well have continued filling my lungs with gas, trying to siphon from a hose.
Speaking of generators, my diesel truck has a hard time starting in the cold, but when the block heater is plugged in, it starts fine. Problem is, can't always find an outlet to utilize. So I see Harbor Freight has a 900 watt 2 stroke generator for under 100 bucks, and was wondering about mounting it in my truck bed, and firing it up a few hrs before needing to start it. Not sure about how many decibels the thing puts out while running tho. Don't want to draw too much attention.

2biz

Post by 2biz » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:10 pm

I have one of those 900w HF Gens that the Generac is replacing. I've had it for about 10 years and it still runs good. It ran my Firechief's 1800cfm blower with no problems during outages. Its not that loud, maybe just a bit louder than the Generac. You need to make sure the watts of the heater is less than 900w. Since it is resistive load, you don't have to allow for surge watts as you would with starting an electric motor. I'm sure its quieter than your truck when it's running!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Battery powered? All liquids are not equal!!
You wouldn't see me ever use one for gasoline. One spark and poof!
Kerosene or diesel yes, gasoline never.
2cents.gif
.GIF | 221Bytes | 2cents.gif

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:36 pm

Nice find 2biz. I'm interested. Bought a 3500 dual fuel inverter Champion ($899 Cabella's cyber monday, on gift cards too) for home and camping. Hope to use it at home on propane when I get the underground tank plumbed up to feed it. Didn't want to have find gasoline if power is out for long periods with a few hundred gallons of LP sitting here. However when camping i'll keep it in the truck bed and run off gasoline. With this I won't have to be concerned about spilling fuel in the bed with other stuff in the bed.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:46 pm

2biz wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:10 pm
I have one of those 900w HF Gens that the Generac is replacing. I've had it for about 10 years and it still runs good. It ran my Firechief's 1800cfm blower with no problems during outages. Its not that loud, maybe just a bit louder than the Generac. You need to make sure the watts of the heater is less than 900w. Since it is resistive load, you don't have to allow for surge watts as you would with starting an electric motor. I'm sure its quieter than your truck when it's running!
The block heaters are about 500w, so I think it would work. Thanks for the input.

2biz

Post by 2biz » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:54 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:19 pm
Battery powered? All liquids are not equal!!
You wouldn't see me ever use one for gasoline. One spark and poof!
Kerosene or diesel yes, gasoline never.
2cents.gif
It's rated to pump gas. I would think no different than having a 12v fuel pump inside most gas tanks of cars.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:56 pm

2biz wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:54 pm
It's rated to pump gas. I would think no different than having a 12v fuel pump inside most gas tanks of cars.
It is rated for gas, therefore it must be "intrinsically safe" to handle flammable liquids.

Edit: Asked about UL listing on Amazon and got this, for what it's worth:
  • Review: Unsuitable for flamable liquids!!
    This product is not UL rated for flamable liquids. It has no vapor seal and the electrical components are exposed to the entry of flamable vapors when turning it off/on and while running. It is dangerously defective in its design and can lead to an explosion and horrible burns in normal use. It is irresponsible to sell this pump for use with flamable liquids. see less
    By Frederick T. Kearney on November 23, 2012

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks VigIIPeaBurner for the effort for further review. :D

Nothing has ever been built for $15.99 and truly rated to be "intrinsically safe".

I worked in the fuels pipeline and compressor station industry for natural gas and pretty much all other fuels and know very well the requirements for "intrinsically safe" components. Better to get a manual squeeze bulb model instead.
Somebody's widow is going to have to get this straightened out.
That's a Chinese flashlight turned into a pump. :no1:

https://www.amazon.com/ABC-Products-Generates-Tra ... +bulb+pump

Has 2 inch hand squeeze rubber bulb that starts siphoning liquid flow quickly

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 1:20 am

I'm inclined to go with the simple rubber bulb siphon.
My last helicopter ride to Crozer Burn Center from a gas vapor explosion cost a little over $14,000. Now granted, that was 24 years ago but I'm sure it would be a bit more today.

I recommend either using a good electric pump rated for gasoline or a nice simple rubber bulb siphon like McGiever suggested.

Paulie

2biz

Post by 2biz » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 10:21 am

I understand your concerns, especially when it involves transferring any type of fuel. Although, if transferring gas is so dangerous using one of these battery powered pumps, why are there so many for sale and no mention of any explosions or fires caused by one directly when doing a google search? Lowes, HD, Tractor Supply, Rural King, Northern Hydraulics, Amazon, etc all have them for sale. I doubt they would risk a lawsuit if using one to transfer gas was so risky using one. Digging further in, documentation say they are "CSA approved for US and Canadian government safety standards" for transferring gas and other liquids.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 4:42 pm

What are CSA/UL Approved Labels?
  • CSA / UL certified labels are top of the line quality products that deliver exactly what is expected of them. When vital information or safety must be maintained, they are the standard in every industry.
2bi, could you please privide a link to that material or could you scan it an post the pdf?

2biz

Post by 2biz » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Not the exact one I linked to above, but here is a similar one from Terapump....

https://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-TRFA01-Fuel-Pump/ ... B06XY5BYXG

Product description:

Fuel Type: Gasoline
Pump type: Electric
Model: TRFA01
Number: 302244

Improvements and Updates: Longer hose 25" to 35" / More Powerful Motor 20 percent up / Fuel More Resistant Plastics
Size: 14 x 6 x 3.5 Weight: 1.2LB / Transfer to several outlets like gas can / vehicle/ lawn mower so on!
3 gallons per min / Requires 4 AA batteries which are not included / Flexible Intake hose / No-spill Auto-Stop Nozzle
Fits Most North American Fuel Plastic Cans with 3 different adapters size included
No Mess No Worries No Hassle - Sit Back and Relax!
CSA approved for US and Canadian government safety standards

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”