Honeywell Tstat vs Coal Trol

homeskillet
Other Heating: pellet

Post by homeskillet » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 4:59 pm

I am looking to buy a used stoker........one has a honeywell old fashioned round t-stat that controls it......and the other has a "coal trol" t-stat. Is one mode of control better than the other. Both stoves are identical and the Coal trol stove is 5 bucks more......so its a push, more or less money wise. Just wondering is the wiz bang coal trol is superior. Thanks in advance

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 5:07 pm

I would go with the Coal Trol.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 6:21 pm

the Coaltrol varies the feed rate and blower speeds depending on demand conditions.

The thermostat will only turn on the stoker for heat demand and when it gets warm enough, the blower will kick on. no variable speeds or anything.

For that difference, I'd go with the one with CoalTrol.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 6:28 pm

Now tell us about the stokers.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 8:06 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 6:28 pm
Now tell us about the stokers.
Both stokers are Keystokers.....not sure if they are 90's or 105's but both are the same. I am a bit leary of buy a used Keystoker, but for the price i cant complain. You Keystoker folks out there........how often will i being changing the plastic..(or teflon) cam used in the feed mechanism. I see Keystoker has a video on how to do it....so it must be quite frequent.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 1:11 am

The nylon cam is not an issue, mine is original. Those videos are from the guys at HEET, and they are just trying to be helpful. The Coal-trol is the way to go, maintenance is quite simple. Installed my Keystoker 90 fall of 2009. Only changed glass twice because I am a bit fussy, no other parts.

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 8:25 am

My Keystoker 90K is over 15 years old, I've never replaced cam. I keep it clean and do maintenance on it. I also maintain proper draft with a gauge. I run a digital thermostat on it, works pretty good. I do have a CoalTrol on my Hyfire in the basement and that works very well too. I can control and monitor it from the living room.

The nylon cam is a safety feature if the grates are not sealed properly, too much draft on the stove and its pulling from the hopper or something malfunctions and it may burn back on the grates towards the hopper and the cam will melt if it gets hot enough and stop it from feeding. As per video, they are not too hard to replace.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 7:24 pm

WNY wrote:
Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 6:21 pm
the Coaltrol varies the feed rate and blower speeds depending on demand conditions.

The thermostat will only turn on the stoker for heat demand and when it gets warm enough, the blower will kick on. no variable speeds or anything.

For that difference, I'd go with the one with CoalTrol.
Dave....does the coal trol vary the convection fan speed.....and combustion fan speed and feeder motor on a Keystoker 90. I was told today the coal trol just turns the motors ON or OFF....but doesn't vary anything. You seem to be a guy in the know so i thought id ask you

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 8:55 pm

:roll: :annoyed: It ain't no secret. ;)

flyboydale54
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line AK110 forced air stoker furnace

Post by flyboydale54 » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 4:10 am

Please be advised regarding the Coal-trol Device. This device is manufactured in Syracuse, NY and they are most helpful when questions need to be answered. They make different Coal-trol models. The one that came on my Leisure Line AK-110 forced air furnace is not to my liking. With the original model, you can not adjust the circulation blower fan speed. Well, you can but it's temporary and it only lasts for a few minutes, then it returns automatically to full speed. This is not desirable, believe me. In order to adjust the circulation fan speed, you will have to get the next step up Coal-trol model. That one allows you to set the circulation fan speed and it will stay where you adjust it indefinitely. I believe this is just the electronic thermostat that is different. This is what allows you to maintain a higher hot air plenum temperature. This would be most desirable when the temps outside dip below zero, especially in older constructed houses with drafty conditions within the home and if the furnace is located in a cold drafty basement.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 7:19 am

Yes, it varies the Convection blower speed on most stoves (Heat for room) based on Feed rates and your temp. settings, etc...the Combustion blower runs constantly.

It has a lot of programming and calculations based on your temperature changes. its not just and ON/OFF type thermostat. It ramps up and down based on how much the temp changes. Most people don't use the setback features. I usually just leave mine on a certain temperature, maybe raise it 1 degree or so at a time and let it catch up. Coal does take time to respond.

The guys at CoalTroal are very helpful as stated above.

info http://automationcorrect.com/
(hopefully external links to suppliers are allowed)
I have the advanced Plus+ unit and it's been great.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”