Need Advice on Stoves

gloss

Post by gloss » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 7:05 pm

I just bought a 1100 square foot cape style house. It has oil forced air heating in place on the first floor, and electric baseboards in the upstairs for supplimental heat. It has a full basement, and I'm considering placing a stove down there in place of the furnace. I would like to spend less than 2500. What are my best options? and approximate pricing? I really would like to buy new... if possible, as I plan on staying in the house for some time. Let me know what you think.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Not an expert on furnaces but it sounds to me that a used coal furnace would work in you price range, if you can find one.

gloss

Post by gloss » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 7:43 pm

i suppose a furnace would heat it better. I wonder how well a stove would work tho. I don't think i'd even mind a hand-feed.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Do you want an actual furnace unit to tie into the ductwork? That kind of limits the selection, Keystoker and Harman both make anthracite furnaces, but I think the Harman is a hand fed unit. Hitzer makes a hand-fed unit, at least one member here has one of them installed; you can read about his experience here: US Hot Blast Furnace 1557

Considering that your house is relatively small, you should be able to heat the basement and first floor pretty well with a stove. Is your basement ceiling insulated? If not, I would consider putting a stove in the basement and using your existing ductwork for cold air returns. I have a stove in my basement, and it keeps the basement and first floor nice and warm. Once you get used to warm floors you won't want anything else.

Edit: If you don't mind a hand fed unit, take a look at the Harman Mark series.
**Broken Link(s) Removed** These stoves will really throw the heat and are built really well.

gloss

Post by gloss » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 7:49 pm

the basement ceiling is insulated. I just like the look of a stove better..and they are a little cheaper. a furnace might be more efficient in the long run...i dunno. i'd rather have a newer stove, than a used furnace as it'll be my only source of heat. thanks for the input.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 8:04 pm

I own a Harman TLC2000 hand fired (
**Broken Link(s) Removed** ) & love it. It does my entire split entry ranch from a finished basement family room & you can buy one new for under $1500.00,..... but......you may have trouble getting the heat all the way up to your top floor. (you would certainly have to get rid of the insulation in your basement) Still, with a little creativity (& fans) you may be able to do it, or you could just get the heat into a cold air return & run your furnace on just the fan. (there are hand fired stoves that will connect to ducts too)

spc

Post by spc » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Take a look at the Leisure Line Stove with optional Hot Air Jacket that you can tie into your existing duct work. Very easy stoker stove to operate & with the coal-trol, which comes standard, its a breeze.

gloss

Post by gloss » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 8:45 pm

about how much do the LL cost? they are a very nice looking stove. I like all of them

also, I don't think tying into the ductwork as per the diagram on the LL site is feasable. i'll have to remove the furnace as I only have one chimney. I could just connect the jacket to the ductwork..but i'm not sure that would be terribly efficient either. perhaps with a fan

NEPANewb
Location: Taylor, PA...aka part of NEPA...home of the Anthracite :)

Post by NEPANewb » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Gloss....if your just using the oil furnace fan then there is no need to have it connected to the chimney...use the chimney for the stove and just run the oil furnace fan to move the hot air through the ducting. That should be your best bet. A LL hyfire with jacket and ducting to the existing furnace would probably work great for you.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”