Hitzer 608 Issues

dstark10
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hitzer 608

Post by dstark10 » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 2:23 am

I may not be good with the lingo. But please try to work with me.

I replaced the motherboard of my Coal-Trol. My old one would light up, fuse was good, but nothing would power up. So I replaced the motherboard, and the blower fan is the only thing that fires up. In test mode or otherwise. The feeder motor won't spin when hooked upto the stove. But it will when plugged into the wall. I followed the wires from the feeder motor. One goes to the small fan (convection fan?), and the other to the board.

I followed the troubleshooting diagram for Coal-Trol. It seems like it's a mechanical or electrical issue?

Could my Coal-Trol thermostat have died? Even though the display works? Or could something like the bearing in the small fan went? And if so, would that cause the feeder motor to not work? Corroded wires potentially?

Ignition mode is set to no. I tried to un-plug and re-plug the whole thing in hopes it would reset. It's my only source of heat, so I'm pretty desperate to get it at least up and running for the holidays.

This Hitzer has been running strong for 10 winters until today. I've replaced a feeder motor before and fixed issues before. But I'm stumped with this.

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 6:46 am

I would think the best way to trouble shoot this would be to use a volt-meter to check for voltage at the "Combustion Fan" and Feed Motor... Is it possible you have the wires mixed? To eliminate a froze bearing on the combustion fan, you can either spin the fan cage or wire it directly to 120v to see if it works like you did the feed motor....

I'm confused about this statement: " I followed the wires from the feeder motor. One goes to the small fan (convection fan?), and the other to the board."....The feeder motor and combustion fan should have their own set of wires coming from the control box. The same wire or wires should not be connected to both motors...

On my Leisure Line AK-110 using the Coal Trol, the feed motor wires are "Red/White" and for the combustion blower, they are "Blue/White"....I don't know if the AK-110 wiring would be the same as the Hitzer, but they share the same control....

unklechuckles19
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by unklechuckles19 » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Does your Coal-Trol display power up? If so, what it is saying during it's round robin display. What are your settings on the Coal-Trol? And just to note on the wiring, Hitzer uses wire connectors to butt everything together where as Leisure Line uses the color coded plug ends.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Is your high limit switch OK?

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 8:41 pm

unklechuckles19 wrote:
Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 3:25 pm
And just to note on the wiring, Hitzer uses wire connectors to butt everything together where as Leisure Line uses the color coded plug ends.
My Ak-110 only had one plug in, and that is on the convection fan.....I had to put push terminals on the stocker motor wires and wire nut the wires together on the combustion fan...I think some of the older LL models all had pluggins....Thats why I suggested making sure both motors were wired correctly...

Its possible its a setting on the coal trol...But the combustion fan should run 100% of the time regardless of settings.

The high limit could be the culpret!!! If the high limit was tripped, it would keep both the combustion fan and stoker motor from getting power.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 10:02 pm

RJ-45 t'stat plug ends may get contrary...a little silicone grease keeps the connections reliable.
No t'stat = not work.

unklechuckles19
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by unklechuckles19 » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 11:56 am

2biz wrote:
Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 8:41 pm
My Ak-110 only had one plug in, and that is on the convection fan.....I had to put push terminals on the stocker motor wires and wire nut the wires together on the combustion fan...I think some of the older LL models all had pluggins....Thats why I suggested making sure both motors were wired correctly...
All the stoves come with the color coded plug ends and the furnaces come just like yours did.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”