Difference in Different Stoker Mechanisms?

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 8:46 am

Hi guys,

I was looking over my KA-4 boiler and I noticed an interesting difference between the stoker on that and the stoker on my Harman Magnum (I think it's also the same stoker used on the VF3000 boiler).

The Harman stoker has a collection tray under the stoker that collects fines and in my experience I had to empty it almost every time I filled the hopper.

The Keystoker stoker does not have such a system.

It's not a big deal, but it is one less thing that you have to remember to empty.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 8:54 am

How big was the collection tray? sounds like a lot of fines... Might reduce the fly ash?

Other than that I don't see the purpose unless you had a lot of fines in it which you shouldn't.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 9:45 am

Richard S. wrote:How big was the collection tray? sounds like a lot of fines... Might reduce the fly ash?

Other than that I don't see the purpose unless you had a lot of fines in it which you shouldn't.
Off the top of my head, I would say it was 1.5"x1.5"x8". It was the width of the stoker.

I did seem to get a lot of fines in my coal. I thought it might be b/c the door to my coal bin is at the bottom and the coal flows out. All the fines must fall to the bottom. Or, it just wasn't the best coal?

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 9:46 am

No, it's the action of the pusher block which invariably breaks some pieces of coal as it goes back and forth.

hophead

Post by hophead » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 10:15 am

Seems my last reply got lost so here goes again. I had a Keystoker years ago and know what you're talking about. If the fines build up under the grate it forces more air to the rest of the grate causing the grate and side plates to burn out prematurely. A simple plate with wing nuts on the bottom of the pan would be great. The way it is now you must remove the grate or motor for cleaning. I had to clean mine two or three times a season.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 10:23 am

Sounds like advantage Harman on this one.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 11:21 am

coalkirk wrote:Sounds like advantage Harman on this one.
Does your VF3000 have this? Do you used bagged or bulk coal?

How often you do have to empty yours in the winter?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 1:49 pm

All bed-type stokers get an accumulation of fines under the grate, some need the fan/motor assembly removed to vacuum out the area under the grate, Harman provides a cleanout.. once or twice a season is normal for a LeisureLine, Keystoker or Alaska..

Efm has a handle that opens the cleanouts, not sure about the other underfeed stokers..

Greg L

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 2:12 pm

If you use a hammer and tap up on the grate of a Leisure Line it will come loose from the assembly and you can lift it off and vac out any ashes that are under it and then just replace it back onto the assembly.(make sure the gasket at the back of the grate is in good condition and in place)

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 2:32 pm

LsFarm wrote:All bed-type stokers get an accumulation of fines under the grate, some need the fan/motor assembly removed to vacuum out the area under the grate, Harman provides a cleanout.. once or twice a season is normal for a LeisureLine, Keystoker or Alaska..

Efm has a handle that opens the cleanouts, not sure about the other underfeed stokers..

Greg L

Greg, the Harman also has a slide cleanout under the grate that needed to be cleaned every 30-60 days, I'm talking about an ADDITIONAL fine collector on the back of the stove under the stoker's push block. This needed to be cleaned out every day for me (Harman said every week in the manual). I just thought this was normal to stokers until I started going through my KA-4!

This is what I don't see on MY KA-4, but coalkirk said it's b/c of the stoker design with the pusher block on the Harman. Maybe it creates a lot of fines with that design?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 5:08 pm

OK, I didn't follow your first description.. yes it must be part of the pusher block design,, on a LeisureLine any fines created by the pusher would end up in the fire... not really any other place to go, unless the fines 'snuck out' around the ends of the pusher.. not much could get out there I'm thinking.

Fines are a problem to be delt with with any system.. the augers make fines, the pushers make fines.. as long as they don't accumulate and jamb up the works..

Glad we burn Anthracite,, with Bituminous coal, being so soft,, even shoveling or riding in a truck's dump box makes considerable fines..

Greg L

Highlander
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000 Sold
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Highlander » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 7:40 pm

The tray is located behind the pusher block, to catch fines that manage to be pulled back behind the pusher as it moves forward and back.

I empty mine about every two weeks, I just pour them on the fire.

Attachments

P4231075.JPG

Tray fits in small square opening, lower middle of assembly

.JPG | 1.2MB | P4231075.JPG
Harman Stoker Assy small.jpg

Tray installed

.JPG | 239.7KB | Harman Stoker Assy small.jpg

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 10:58 pm

I usually empty my fines tray every week during the winter; most times it was half-full or just more than half. The Harman manual says to discard the fines...

:yearight: I toss 'em on the fire they burn great!

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 8:45 am

Dutchman wrote:I usually empty my fines tray every week during the winter; most times it was half-full or just more than half. The Harman manual says to discard the fines...

:yearight: I toss 'em on the fire they burn great!
ya know, I'm a dope. I always tossed them in the ash bin. DOH!!!

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 10:16 am

beatle78 wrote:
coalkirk wrote:Sounds like advantage Harman on this one.
Does your VF3000 have this? Do you used bagged or bulk coal?

How often you do have to empty yours in the winter?
Yes, the VF3K has the exact same stoker mechanism. I empty the fine tray every time I load the 250 lb hopper.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”