Looking at a used Alaska stove for my shop

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Nvm I just saw a parts list that specs 2 rpm for the paddle feed, but it's something to look further into.

Mike

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Al, did you get this one? If so, hell, you'll figure it out & still be frugal!! Hell, I love that word. LOL

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Well, I bought the Keystoker.
Both, the combustion fan & the convection fan are new. He didn't change the feeder motor, but it seems to work fine. It's in pretty good condition, except the hopper is pretty shot with large rust holes in it. He had put pieces of aluminum flashing material inside to do a half ass'd repair. :roll: It'll be usable for now, but I'm either going to make a new hopper or buy one. The covers are missing from a couple of the control boxes, but he thinks he has them somewhere in his shop. I never understand why people do things like that! :baby: I need to cement the gasket back in place on the top door too. He did include a pipe T & barometric damper with the deal along with two ash pans. :yes:

When I got home, I unloaded it in my shop & did some cleaning & more checking it over. I am going to try to get it hooked up & running before the weekend is over. He told me that those Keystokers are a pain to start burning. But, the operation of them seems pretty much the same as my Leisure Line & that's real easy to start up. I guess I'll find out soon.... :annoyed:

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Pacowy wrote:
Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 7:40 pm
Do you know whether that gear motor would work on the feed for the Alaska 85k stoker? Does that fit right on the Alaska mount or does it need an adaptor?

Thanks.

Mike
mike
if it is carpet fed, then yes.
matthaus came up with this iirc, he owns leisure line now.
the simplest setup is to get a bushing with set screw that fits on the dayton motor, i think it is 5/16" but don't quote me on that., weld a flat washer to that so it's like a camshaft, mount the threaded stoker arm. and adjust as needed. i would also get a coal trol.

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove

Post by Protrucker » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:00 pm

I got the Keystoker up & running!

I spent some time cleaning it & getting it hooked up yesterday. Then I tried to light it & went out to plow the driveway while it was running. I came back in to find it out. :cry:
They don't start up as easy as my Leisure Line Pocono. So, today I picked up some charcoal at Lowe's & started the Keystoker again with it. That got it going. Right after I got it lit, I checked the temp inside the shop. It was 10* F. After dinner I went out to check on the stove & check the temp in the shop again. It was already up to 20. The last time I looked the outside temp was -12* F. :o

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:41 pm

You are on your way :yes: I too struggle a little with my Keystoker90 but the hand fed Buserus of 27 plus years was more like a Boy Scout project lighting than the stoker. Not sure why the Leisure Line would be easier to light?

HAPPY NEW YEAR :yes:

Protrucker

Post by Protrucker » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 6:33 am

2001Sierra wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:41 pm
.....Not sure why the Leisure Line would be easier to light?

HAPPY NEW YEAR :yes:
I'm thinking that the Coal-Trol might be the big difference. There is a start up procedure with it that controls the feed rate during the initial firing. I've been wondering if it would be worth it to buy a Coal-Trol to install on this stove?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”