Convection air to furnace questions.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 2:01 pm

i have my new to me reading stoker hooked to my cold air return on the oil furnace.
i have a reading allegheny stove, it has the larger blower and one 6" stove pipe outlet on top.

Would there be any advantage of splitting the single 6" pipe into two 6" pipes out of the stove to the oil furnace via a tee or a Y? right now i have one six inch pipe run.

should i run the convection fan motor on the stove and let it run with the coal trol, or pull the plug and let the furnace air handler pull hot air?

dutch
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska Channing III

Post by dutch » Thu. Jan. 25, 2018 2:58 pm

I have done a similar setup with a channing III, located in basement and directly below furnace ducts.

i don't understand what doubling the pipe will do unless the convection fan is large enough to handle
the extra volume of air

i put the 6" duct right into the end of a cold air return and run the stove fan continuously.
i also run the furnace on "fan only" full time to circulate air throughout the home.
because my stove is in a portion of the basement that has some rooms finished off (we dont' really use them),
that room where the stove is gets quite warm. my goal is to get that heat upstairs. i do that a couple of ways, we
leave the basement stairwell open (actually use a screen door to keep pets upstairs), the other way
is i have closed most of the main floors cold air returns off, and cut into the bottom of the cold air trunk
above the stove and put registers there, open for winter, closed for summer (A/C) use. this forces more
cold air down the stairs and pulls more heat from the basement up thru the furnace ducts.
we shut heat ducts off in our bedroom (stove is directly below so plenty of heat there) and i have shut one
off in the dining room where my coaltrol thermostat is so the coaltrol doesn't get heat from a duct, and
we are extremely comfortable in the living space, very even temps, coaltrol works great, set it and forget it..

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”