alaska gnome 40 stoker

swattley01
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska Gnome 40
Baseburners & Antiques: Buckwalters Vale Oak 315
Coal Size/Type: nut / rice
Other Heating: March Brownback potbelly #12

Post by swattley01 » Fri. Dec. 08, 2017 10:39 am

strange thing happen last night, woke smell of melting plastic in my room while the alaska Gome 40 was running, i noticed the ash build up in the center of the ash bin and blocked the feed of ash from dropping off the burn tray, this is the only think i found not correct but still do not know where that smell came from. shut the stove down for night, restarted it this morning after empty the ash bin and everything seems normal.

swattley01
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska Gnome 40
Baseburners & Antiques: Buckwalters Vale Oak 315
Coal Size/Type: nut / rice
Other Heating: March Brownback potbelly #12

Post by swattley01 » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 9:12 am

stove has been running great for many days now it puts out a lot of heat, as for the ash pan i just make sure i check it every night now before go to bed, can anyone tell me worst case what happens if you dont empty the ask pan on the stoker and it prevents the ash from falling off the burn tray ?

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 9:31 am

I haven't had it happen, but I imagine that it would eventually choke off the air from the burner blower & the fire would go out. I have let it go a little too long a few times & had ashes build up to where there wasn't a break between the ashes in the pan & on the burner.... I don't like that. Like you stated, I usually check mine at least once a day.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 2:21 am

I got a panic call a few years back from my neighbor when her co alarm went off. Her husband was out of town and she forgot to take the ash bin out of her Alaska stoker.

The ash was piled about 4" above the grate, the burning coal was overflowing the sides, and the exhaust flue outlet was partially blocked.

This created a positive pressure in the stove forcing the flue exhaust back up thru the hopper.

I shut the stove down, emptied the ash bin, shoveled out the remainder of the coal and ash , and restarted the stove.

This stove was connected to a chimney and did not have a fume switch. Although a fume switch is not required when connected to a chimney, I suggested they install one.

When her husband got back home, I showed him the one I installed on mine. To show him how it worked, all I did was open my ash door for about a minute and my stove shut down.

That afternoon we picked one up at a local Alaska dealer and installed it in less than 15 minutes. The fume switch from Alaska comes prewired with a male and a female cord. The stove already had provisions for one so the mounting was simple. The main power plug from the stove just plugs into the female end and the male plugs into the same receptacle that the main power cord came out of.

This is a nice option to have even on a stoker with a chimney and will shut the stove down in the event the flue is restricted, you forget to close the ash door, or to empty the ash bin. :D

Paulie

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Thu. Feb. 28, 2019 11:16 pm

they look like nice smaller units that can burn longer unattended than my hand fired harman. too much hot ash in my harman mkI will kill the grates according to the manual.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Fri. Mar. 01, 2019 9:19 pm

rodhotter wrote:
Thu. Feb. 28, 2019 11:16 pm
they look like nice smaller units that can burn longer unattended than my hand fired harman. too much hot ash in my harman mkI will kill the grates according to the manual.
I’m running the Gnome 40 also and you have to be careful not to get anything bigger than the rice coal in it ( the gear feeder motor) will break $146 part, if you don’t maintain the motors they will get loud, they will put out some nice heat and the hopper holds 70 lbs of rice coal 👍 I am at 72 degrees in the house, empty the ashes every day &1/2 add about 35lbs of coal every night !!!

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Mon. Sep. 02, 2019 8:13 pm

there are lots of options for sure + being retired + around in the colder months my relatively cheap hand fired smallest harman serves me well. in a different setup i would do some sort of automatic feed stove like yours

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”