Alaska 140 single

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Dec. 03, 2017 9:59 am

crowsnest2002 wrote:
Sun. Dec. 03, 2017 9:41 am
One a power line runs into our house so deliveries are difficult because of clearance. The other problem was how thick my foundation was.
Power line is not something you can fix but unless it's preventing the truck from getting near the window there is always a way. As far as the foundation goes if you are getting delivery via high lift and it can back up to the window the back wheels are going to be about 10 feet+ away. If it has to go off sideways you can probably get away with 6 to 8 feet with ground level window like that.
crowsnest2002 wrote:
Sun. Dec. 03, 2017 9:41 am
By the way you should have seen how i got the old stove out and the new one in with just my wife and myself lol.
My wrestling coach in HS had a favorite saying, "With enough leverage you can move the world."
crowsnest2002 wrote:
Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 9:39 pm
Putting some metal on my chutes to make the coal flow better.
Use aluminum, SS or PVC sheeting.
he just uses a dump truck i believe as well.
Dump truck doesn't really apply to what I said.

crowsnest2002
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140 single
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by crowsnest2002 » Sun. Dec. 03, 2017 10:30 am

Richard S. wrote:
Sun. Dec. 03, 2017 9:59 am

My wrestling coach in HS had a favorite saying, "With enough leverage you can move the world."

Use aluminum, SS or PVC sheeting.

Im going to remember that quote. Im going to head to scrap yard next summer and start looking for my material. I have enough coal in there till early spring I believe so it'll have to wait till summer.

crowsnest2002

Post by crowsnest2002 » Fri. Feb. 16, 2018 2:46 pm

At the end of this season I will post my burn rate for the year so a comparison cand be made.

crowsnest2002

Post by crowsnest2002 » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Long over due, but last year I burned 5 tons of coal with some remains in the coal bin. Thermostat stayed at 72 degrees all winter and the wife and kids were very happy with not having temp swings like I did with wood. Some things I did though, coldest day of year I turned high feed rate up to 40. The temps were in negatives. I am also looking for a programable thermostat to increase cost savings while we are gone for the day. Most likely the programable function is only going to be used up to Start to December and then March till end. I dont want to risk frozen pipes on one side of house. So far I would not go back. Also got bulk 3 tons delivered from Franklin Feed out of Chambersburg Pa for $238 a ton.

StanT

Post by StanT » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 7:03 am

Looks like a couple of small chutes neat the bottom of your coal bin is what you need, just high enough to get your coal bucket under and no shoveling.

Nice Job, Stant

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 7:12 am

Thanks for checking back in. The coal usage seems about right and the only measure that counts is the satisfaction with the 72* house temp! :yes:

crowsnest2002

Post by crowsnest2002 » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks all, the wife gets so annoyed at me talking about the furnace. I try to sell everyone on coal now, especially the wood burners.

crowsnest2002

Post by crowsnest2002 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2021 10:19 am

Just updating after using this system for quite some time. One, I didn’t bother with a programmable thermostat. After doing some figuring, it didn’t seem as much of a big deal cost wise due to the coal stove idling a majority of the time anyway. Also coal prices in my area were around $245 per ton delivered from Franklin Feed, Chambersburg, PA. The delivery is nice and I usually reorder once I get to 1 ton in my bin. Coal usage per season of course depends on the temperatures. Most I’ve used so far is around 6.5 tons in one season. The stove has been a great performer. Small amount of surface rust inside the box from sitting over summer, but not major. House still remains at 72*. I don’t usually go above 40-45 setting on the feed rate even in peak - temps. In fact I would think going above that rate into the 50-60 range would cause less efficiency with the single feeder. The reason for this would be the coal would have not burned completely before going into the ash hopper. The clinker and ash is kind of an issue. My yard is not very large, and I just spread it out in an area behind our house where we burn debris. (Old Christmas trees, brush, cardboard, leaves). I’ve been debating on getting a small compact tractor with loader here in a year or so, mainly for cleaning this up, mulching, snow removal, driveway repair, and whatever projects. So keep this in mind when purchasing a coal stove. What I do works for me, but could be a problem for others with a smaller yard, and more populated area. The only thing I’ve ever really thought about adding would be a hot water coil in the stove. The only thing that keeps turning away is a possible break in that coil which would turn into a big mess real quick. I wanted to thank all you folks again for the insight. This has truly made my winters much more enjoyable, and it is kind of nice sitting in my warm home and not freezing my butt off cutting firewood, and all the other chores that go with it.

crowsnest2002

Post by crowsnest2002 » Fri. Jan. 08, 2021 11:40 pm

I installed an air filter box on the furnace today. Cost about $20 to make, we will see how it turns out. Most materials were sourced from scrap yard.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”