Reading coal stoker.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Nov. 28, 2017 2:19 am

just picked this one up. had my son and a friend help me get it into the basement.....what a heavy beast!
not sure what model this is, it can't be that old since it has a coal trol and a combustion blower. i looked at reading stoves at the plant in 2007 and they did not use the coal trol yet.
got home around 8 pm, had truck unloaded and stove hooked up and running by 11pm.
i'll mess with the crane later.
i am going to install cold air returns to the oil furnace and pipe the hot air from the coal stove into the returns. got the rest of the week to work on that.

Attachments

reading1.jpg
.JPG | 59.1KB | reading1.jpg
reading2.jpg
.JPG | 53.3KB | reading2.jpg
reading3.jpg
.JPG | 57.8KB | reading3.jpg
reading4.jpg
.JPG | 42.6KB | reading4.jpg
reading5.jpg
.JPG | 89.9KB | reading5.jpg
reading6.jpg
.JPG | 70KB | reading6.jpg
reading7.jpg
.JPG | 30.7KB | reading7.jpg
reading8.jpg
.JPG | 83.8KB | reading8.jpg
reading9.jpg
.JPG | 46.5KB | reading9.jpg

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 1:05 pm

stove is running well.
rooms above the basement are toasty warm.
for the time being while i am building a return plenum for the oil furnace, i have hot air from the stoker pointed at the air return on the furnace where it mixes with air from the basement and crawl space. there are three return grates that return cold air to the basement.

the addition is colder....it sits over an uninsulated crawl space.
i need insulation, need to save for it first tho, this house is the moneypit.

upstairs on the second floor of the addition it's in the mid 60's. stoker is running wide open.

ok heres some ideas i have.

build insulated walls around coal stove, it would be like a 8x10 room. send residual heat upstairs thru a big vent in the floor.

hot water coil in the stove, hooked to a circulator and a tank and baseboard radiator upstairs.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 1:40 am

Looking good ! When you build the room around the stoker make sure you duct in a good sized cold air return along with that vent.

Don't forget to install an expansion tank in your hot water coil loop.

Paulie

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 11:45 am

i don't even have my cold air returns all in yet and i feel an improvement. i have a six inch pipe coming off the stove going to the furnace. i blocked off two of the 8" inlets, there are still three 6" open.
installing one six inch return and one six inch supply in each bedroom.
two six inch returns and two six inch supplies in the living room.
one 8" return and one 4x12 supply in the other living room.
i have two eight inch returns planned for the addition, space between the furnace and the crawlspace is limited. that's all i can fit.
the big test is coming in the next few days. it is supposed to go into the teens at night.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 3:06 pm

just got off the phone with keystoker (they bought reading stove company)
they have the ash tubs in stock for 42 dollars each.
and the door glass for 65 dollars.
i asked if they were going to make reading stoves along with keystoker. the answer was yes, they are currently selling off excess reading inventory of finished stoves. then they will start production again.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 4:03 pm

The second ash tub pays for itself. When my tub is full, I replace it with an empty one and leave it in the furnace room where it gives up its heat inside the house until I empty it outside the following day.

I never sat down to calculate the approximate btu's retained in the hot ash, but I'm sure the cost of a second pan would easily be recovered in one season.

Paulie

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 6:08 pm

safety too.....almost burned my hands thru welding gloves dumping the ash the other night. when i got back there was ash in the tray of the stoker.
i had several pans for my old stoves that i had at my old place. the efm was easy, a galvanized bushel tub. unfortunately the bushel tub does not fit this stove, i tried it, door would not close. had to return it to ace hardware.

at least i can buy the tubs. once i get the crane and the triburner going (pole barn and tractor workshop...cub cadet museum) they both have really odd size tubs. going to have to build my own.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”