Leisure line pioneer top vent with coal trol possible issues

Bjflagg
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure line pioneer LE/TV
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Bjflagg » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 3:34 pm

I am new to burning coal. I purchased a lightly used pioneer top vent with coal trol control. I am positive something is wrong though I have my max feed rate set at 20 and I have hot coals dropping from my grate. According to coal trol I should be able to set that at 40 for a max I understand that 40 is a ballpark provided by them but I would think I could go higher than 20. ***My air shutter for combustion air is full open, max feed set at 20 on coal trol, draft just after 90 on top of stove is -.02, new gasket on door and just recently cleaned fines out of area under grate***

RSorjanen
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby,Warm Morning 617A/Warm Morning 523
Baseburners & Antiques: Empress Atlantic
Coal Size/Type: nut, pea

Post by RSorjanen » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 4:02 pm

I am not sure but shouldn't you have more like -.04 draft.
Bob

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 5:26 pm

First, did you just start the stove and have hot coals falling off? it takes time to settle out. also, make sure your Room temp and setpoint is below room temp to let it settle down. it could take a couple hours or more to start getting the ash on the end and the feed rate should start going down. Starting them usually results in hot coals off until it settles down.

you should be able to use the setting from the book for min 6 and max 40 or something close to that. Only make minor changes and let it settle down after a couple hours. only change setpoints 1 or 2 points at a time until you get it dialed in.

Do you have a baro damper? how are you measuring your draft?

Bjflagg
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure line pioneer LE/TV

Post by Bjflagg » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Measuring with Dwyer manometer. Draft is -.02 with the Baro open all the way so it stays at -.02and the stove has been running for a 1.5 months the same way I shut it down cleaned the fines under the grate and fired it back up and same thing.

molson4725

Post by molson4725 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Draft min should be .02. Normal is between .02-.04. Baro shouldnt be open unless it is very windy. Did u clean the stove pipes out? They accumulate alot of fly ash. Have a pocono and my max is at 52.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 6:20 am

molson4725 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 10:10 pm
Draft min should be .02. Normal is between .02-.04. Baro shouldnt be open unless it is very windy. Did u clean the stove pipes out? They accumulate alot of fly ash. Have a pocono and my max is at 52.
Baro opening depends on the draft and how cold it is outside, it can stay open if the draft is good, mine usually stays open a lot when it's below 10 outside, i have a 35' brick chimney inside the house and it draws a lot of draft. i run a little over -.04 when it's really cold.

Bjflagg
Any luck with your adjustments?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”