crane diamond fireplace stoker.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 1:04 am

got the new old stock 1987 crane stoker hooked up tonite. it worked for about 2 hours and quit on me.
power to the stoker motor is intermittent. i think the one part is a timer of some sort. verified no power to the stoker motor.
the wiring in this stove is a bit messy.
i was so excited, now the sinking feeling of failure. it was pumping the heat tho.

there seems to be three motors.
one for the stoker....it;s a block that moves, not a carpet. on the back above the chimney outlet.
one for a beater bar that pushes the ash off the end in the right side front, there is an access door.
blower fan motor on top, is for the combustion air and convection (i think)
there is a speed control knob for the fan and combustion air and a speed control for the stoker.
can anyone identify the black box with all the wires going to it? i posted a pic of the tag.
i cannot find a user manual for this stove. i even talked with the son of the owner of crane about this stove, he don't know alot, he was 17 when the stove was made. i was 16.

Attachments

crane1.jpg
.JPG | 29.7KB | crane1.jpg
crane2.jpg
.JPG | 41.9KB | crane2.jpg
crane3.jpg
.JPG | 76.9KB | crane3.jpg
crane4.jpg
.JPG | 69.3KB | crane4.jpg
crane5.jpg
.JPG | 64.8KB | crane5.jpg
crane6.jpg
.JPG | 81.5KB | crane6.jpg
crane7.jpg
.JPG | 69.1KB | crane7.jpg
crane8.jpg
.JPG | 64.1KB | crane8.jpg
crane9.jpg
.JPG | 67.1KB | crane9.jpg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 2:37 pm

A lot of other brand of stove controllers out there that could be adapted to do your stove's job.

Seen your WANTED AD for a Coal-trol in that section. :)

But you are on the right track wanting a controller that has a thermostat rather than just a rheostat for dialing in your comfort level.

On your existing controller I would guess you have a PERCENTAGE TIMER, 1 rheostat for on time of idle cycle and the 2nd rheostat for the off time of idle cycle. TORK makes an equal to yours called a EJWT PERCENTAGE TIMER.
EJWT_TIMER_SPEC_SHEET.pdf
.PDF | 533.6KB | EJWT_TIMER_SPEC_SHEET.pdf

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 10:22 am

i think the timer is ok. it's the timer rheostat that i think is messing it up. i had it running real well yesterday again, and i went to turn the feed rate down and i lost the fire. going to get a can of tuner cleaner and clean the controls and try again.
i really was hoping to run this stove a few weeks before more mods, i have to change the fuel oil tank, current one is 46 yrs old and held up by three legs and the fill pipe. i have a new tank to go in when we run out of oil, down under 1/4 tank so it won't be long.
going to take me time to install the new tank and piping, sure would be nice to have the coal stove running.

after i get the oil tank installed i am going to rewire the stove.

what is out there besides the coal trol for controlling stokers?
i have a coal trol on my alaska that is in storage (i did not use the alaska downstairs because it's rusted thin in spots, i am going to repair it but still don't trust it in the house.) that was probably one of the best purchases i made for the coal stove. using the alaska in my pole barn that does not exist yet.

i am going to build a duct system coming off the stove front vents. 3.25"x10" duct and elbows should do it, then take off of the 10" rectangle duct with a 8" insulated duct and pipe that into the cold air return system. won't be pretty but will get the heat upstairs.

Attachments

cranecoalcooker3.jpg

goung to build a heat jacket over the hot air vents.

.JPG | 44.9KB | cranecoalcooker3.jpg

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 2:09 pm

the timer does not work.
the stoker motor was wired wrong, it had two hot wires going to the motor.

i powered the stoker motor direct and i got it to feed.....now i need to slow it down. i will be getting a coal trol that will be my stoker timer replacement.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 7:54 am

i'm about ready to give up on this thing.
it's like the pusher block is too far from where the coal falls down. it will not stay lit no matter what i try. dead space builds up from between where the coal falls down and the pusher block.

i'm out of time to mess around, we are down under 1/4 tank of oil......can't get more oil till i run out then install the new tank.

going to look at a reading stove tonight. that should have a triburner which i am very familiar with.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 8:15 am

Better luck with the READING L. Yep, comes a time to cut your losses & get on with life! :)

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 9:41 am

yea, it's a nice stove and all. this just is not the time to tinker. i will use it in an outbuilding.
i hooked it all back up the way i found it and ran the unit. the stoker motor runs for about thirty seconds and never comes on again, i times to 30 and 300 on both directions of the control...nothing after initial run.
i do not think the coal trol could slow this feed down enough. i tried running the stoker motor off of a fan control switch like i used on the powervent. the motor is so small that it does not have the power to move at reduced speed. if i hook it up direct and fire the stove, the feed just pushes the fire right off the grate. going to have to get a timer that works and tinker with it later.
no loss really.
i paid 450 for the stove, and six sections of class a stainless pipe, one roof kit, one cleanout tee, and the single to double wall adapter and three short pieces of class a pipe. all never used.

the reading stove i am going to look at has a place for a heat duct that i can pipe into my cold air return system at the oil furnace.

i know someone who could get this crane running real good for me, but he's busy running leisure line. matt was always a huge help to me in the past. maybe i can talk mom into lending me 2 grand towards a new pocono hehe.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 10:05 am

will pick up the percentage timer and try again in a different location.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”