Power vent questions

Mattw205
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska stoker 2

Post by Mattw205 » Fri. Nov. 17, 2017 3:38 am

I’m new to stokers and power vents. I always used hand fired. My ss chimney is damaged and not making enough draft so I was going to switch to a power vent. How often do you clean it and are there any other downsides? The stove stores all say chimney is the way to go but it seems like a power vent would be very convenient so you wouldn’t need to rely on weather conditions for the proper draft. And as far as needing electric, the stoker needs electric also so it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Is there something I’m missing?

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 17, 2017 8:43 pm

i am installing my stoker with a powervent. this is what i learned so far.
swg4hds powervent
field controls WMO-1 blocked flue switch (wired so stoker shuts off if there is a blockage or the powervent motor quits.
you need a fan control dimmer (not a light dimmer ) people are running the powervent at about 40 percent, you need to check draft with a manometer, adjust the flap on the powervent and fan speed to get correct draft....running at full speed i read creates too much draft.
the powervent needs to be lubed with specific oil at least once a year, and the unit checked for debris around and blockage. go on youtube, look up leisure line. there are alot of good how to videos there by one of the owners that apply to not just their stoves..

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Report back in a couple years with your tried and tested results please.

Clear out all the bee's nests built inside over the summer before starting up first time each season too.
They can plug up the nice home you provided them.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”