Harman Magnum door glass gasket

rodburner
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Nat. Gas

Post by rodburner » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 9:23 pm

I was trying to get a fire started when I noticed smoke coming out from the bottom of the door glass, I opened the door and there was no gasket around the bottom of the glass. evidently I didn't notice this last burning season .Tonite I took the glass out, broke 1 of the 3 remaining bolts, and found no gasket across the top of the glass either. the glass should have gasket material all the way around it shouldn't it ? anyone know of a better bolt material to use in those 4 holes ? how about brass ?

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 8:30 am

There is not supposed to be any gasket at the top and bottom center of the glass. This is Harman's air wash system that is to help keep the glass clean. If you were getting smoke out of those areas you have a draft problem. Check for a chimney restriction. Those bolts can be a bugger. Use anti-seize compound on the threads.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 9:31 am

Brass is too soft. Grade 8 bolts are the key. And you should use heat even then ( get them cherry red) to loosen the screws. I would guess that a gasket wouldn't hurt it. I know on my older hand fired stoves they used to have vents on top to allow air to ignite the gasses coming off the top but our stokers have air forced in and should do the same ????
So true...Coalkirk... I have my Super Mag and never never have smoke,etc coming out of the door window. I did replace the window once..they are prone to cracking I hear..maybe because there isn't a gasket and when you slam the door shut it may be enough to impact the glass being a bit loose.
I have the stove in the basement with a 6" AA insulated stainless steel venting out side the home to about 30 ft high to clear the roof. I must say when first starting it for a few seconds it backs up a bit but then it goes and when temps get into the 50's or more it still sucks so nice.

rodburner

Post by rodburner » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 8:32 pm

thanks to both on the replies. glad I asked. I did notice that once it warmed up the smoke did stop coming out from under the glass. will pick up some good bolts from work tomorrow and use anti-seize that says it withstands 2000 deg. I managed to get the one I broke out with an easy out. the other one must be ss, it did not want to drill out . I even tried a cobalt bit. thank you both again !

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 3:53 am

rodburner wrote:
Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 8:32 pm
thanks to both on the replies. glad I asked. I did notice that once it warmed up the smoke did stop coming out from under the glass. will pick up some good bolts from work tomorrow and use anti-seize that says it withstands 2000 deg. I managed to get the one I broke out with an easy out. the other one must be ss, it did not want to drill out . I even tried a cobalt bit. thank you both again !
Mine is the same.. once it warms up the draft is great.. should only take a minute to start the process.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 3:53 am

captcaper wrote:
Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 3:53 am
Mine is the same.. once it warms up the draft is great.. should only take a minute to start the process. Just don't slam the door.

rodburner

Post by rodburner » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 10:06 am

with no fire burning I open the damper and the draft will suck a lighter flame into the chimney :yes: . anyone have their 316L SS, Very expensive ,chimney top rust ? think I read on here that coal smoke has some harsh chemicals in it.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 10:30 am

I changed the glass on my Mark II this fall and there is only supposed to be gaskets on the sides as others have stated. My bolts came out easy and when I put them back in I also used anti-seize compound. In my case the stove was not getting as hot as it should have with all of that secondary air so I took the glass back out and put a gasket on the top and left only the bottom open. Much better heat and the air wash from the bottom keeps the glass clean. As for the smoke coming out of through the openings when lighting off I would get a draft gauge of some sort to make sure your chimney is working ok. Very important.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”