stoker in basement, getting air to second floor.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 8:08 pm

first of all i have a very rare crane stoker stove that burns rice coal, it has never been used.
i'm not new to stoker stoves, just new to heating this multiple floor thing with coal.
my mothers house has a basement, a main floor, and a second floor on the addition. there is no basement under the addition which is as big as the main house.
the basement is approx 25x32, same with first floor of old part. the addition is approx 20x25 with two full floors and a crawlspace.
what i am wondering about is moving air through the house. i do not want to run the oil furnace blower 24/7 if i do not have to.
the house has no return air ducting, there are currently three grates to the basement, i can add more as i remodel the next two rooms.

could i run some flex duct to the second floor from near the coal stove and run a duct fan?
same with the first floor of the addition.
i assume the floors above the basement will get heat thru the return grates?

or is there a way to put the furnace fan on a timer?
when i came home in jan after dad passed away, the furnace blower was running 24 hours a day, the thermostat was bad. i fixed that, and the electricity bill dropped $45.00. that is why i am against running the furnace fan all the time like my friends did at the other side of the building i used to live in.

i know with that much square foot i am probably going to need the oil too when it gets really cold, that is fine.

i am anxious to install the stove but i must first fix the walls and get a new oil tank in the basement before i put the stove in (it is going at the bottom of the stairs, next to the basement door to the outside also. my coal bin will be on the other side of the doorway, 5'6"x10'4" is the size.

who's the guy here that swims to his coal stove when it rains? that was my basement before we got sewage.
heres a before spot where my coal stove is going and the after area where my coal bin is going.

Attachments

badwall.jpg
.JPG | 96.3KB | badwall.jpg
walldone.jpg
.JPG | 55.2KB | walldone.jpg
stovehole.jpg
.JPG | 59.7KB | stovehole.jpg
cranecoalcooker3.jpg
.JPG | 44.9KB | cranecoalcooker3.jpg

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 8:14 pm

notice the unburnt coal in the concrete.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Nice skim job L. Did the same to my basement. Your floors in much better shape--mine is hit & miss slab!! LOL Just my elec. hot water heater & well pump down there.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 11:36 pm

dad had the floor done in 1971, the concrete is 6" thick.....done so that way because the house has no footers.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 9:33 am

Hi lincolnmania, there are many threads about moving hot air from a basement to the living areas. The 2 most important suggestions I received were get the cold air from the living space to the basement and second, to insulate the basement walls.
Hot or warm area will easily replace the cooler air if the cooler air has a way down thus completing true circulation. When I started a member reminded me that too much of the heat and btu's created were being used to heat the basement walls and never making up stair. I insulated my walls with 1/2 inch foil faced rigid foam and saved approx. a ton of coal last yr...25% = 300.00 easily the cost of the insulation.
Good luck and I look forward to your progress.

Mike

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 10:06 am

Is there no way to run a cold air return and warm air supply ducts directly to and from the stove?

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:01 pm

i don't see a way to put a heat jacket on this stove, the hopper is the entire top of the stove....those vents around the door is where the air blows out.
the coal stove is going about 12 feet away from the oil furnace. i am powerventing it thru the basement wall.

insulation would be good, i have to make sure my waterproofing job is going to work first. there's gonna be 5 tons of coal in the one corner. what is the r value of rice coal per foot lol.

savings is good,

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Your cold air will return to some extent down your stairs. (if you leave the basement door open) i cant see a way to get that heat upstairs without using a good size fan. The oil furnace fan should have 3 speeds ,use the lowest one.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 7:38 pm

how can i tell if the furnace has a 3 speed motor? as far as i am aware it only runs on one speed currently.
it's a regal by peerless in boyertown pa. was installed in 2006 i think.http://www.boyertownfurnace.com/ResidentialProduc ... naces.aspx

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 10:40 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 7:38 pm
how can i tell if the furnace has a 3 speed motor? as far as i am aware it only runs on one speed currently.
it's a regal by peerless in boyertown pa. was installed in 2006 i think.http://www.boyertownfurnace.com/ResidentialProduc ... naces.aspx
Should have 4 or 5 wires coming from the fan. It may also be a single speed. Regardless your going to have to run some fans and move some serious air. Not sure it should cost $45 a month to do that . I only use hot air occasionally when servicing the stoker and i have to run multiple fans to warm a large 3 story home effectively in winter.

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 1:25 am

We have a Lux thermostat which has a "Clean Air" setting for the furnace fan, what that does is run the fan for x amount of time every 15 minutes, I set it to run at 5 minutes every 30 and moved the warm air pretty good when we had the hand fire stoves in our basement. Maybe something like this may help.

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 11:36 am

cntbill wrote:
Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 1:25 am
We have a Lux thermostat which has a "Clean Air" setting for the furnace fan, what that does is run the fan for x amount of time every 15 minutes, I set it to run at 5 minutes every 30 and moved the warm air pretty good when we had the hand fire stoves in our basement. Maybe something like this may help.
I just did a quick search on our thermostat and it appears it's discontinued and the manufactures replacement is the one of those "Smart" thermostats called the GEO.... it's a shame to me take something simple and make it "smart" :?

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 11:50 am

cntbill wrote:
Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 1:25 am
oh nice! i have a lux, got it on clearance back in feb! runs downstairs to thermostat to look for clean air setting.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 17, 2017 7:07 am

my lux thermostat does not have that feature...darn.
i did find one that has the same feature tho. it's an aprilaire 8476 http://www.supplyhouse.com/Aprilaire-8476-Univers ... JPEALw_wcB

xmanjeff
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90 dv

Post by xmanjeff » Sat. Nov. 18, 2017 9:54 am

ive had poor results with mine until I was pumping hot air of stove upstairs and the cold air going back by way of stairwell

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”