Lighting the Stoker

leoman584

Post by leoman584 » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 2:19 pm

How are you guys lighting your stoves? The guy that I bought mine from gave me a small starter cube. I'm guessing it's magnesium. It has a little fuse on it and resembles a fire cracker. I'd like to get some more of these, but I can't find them. The starter says "Carl's" on it, but it doesn't appear that they have a website or any contact info. Does anyone know who makes these and where I can source them? Thanks

Mattw205
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska stoker 2

Post by Mattw205 » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 2:57 pm

I took a piece of 4 inch stove pipe. Cut it maybe 6 ish inches long and put a couple notches in the bottom of it. Crumpled up a piece of news paper and put in the the bottom. Crush up a couple pieces of charcoal and put it on top of the paper. And then put about a cup or so of the rice coal on it. Put that right on the grate and start the newspaper on fire. Then plug the stove in. Nice hot fire in about 5 min. Then pull the stove pipe out. Works great and really quick.

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Not exactly what you're looking for but this thread may give you some ideas...
Starter Bags

leoman584

Post by leoman584 » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Mattw205 wrote:
Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 2:57 pm
I took a piece of 4 inch stove pipe. Cut it maybe 6 ish inches long and put a couple notches in the bottom of it. Crumpled up a piece of news paper and put in the the bottom. Crush up a couple pieces of charcoal and put it on top of the paper. And then put about a cup or so of the rice coal on it. Put that right on the grate and start the newspaper on fire. Then plug the stove in. Nice hot fire in about 5 min. Then pull the stove pipe out. Works great and really quick.
That's a good idea. I saw something similar to that done online. That might be the way to go. Thanks!

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 7:57 pm

I use two strips of metal long enough to fit snug across the grate. I put the first one at the top of the grate right above
the burned coal (or beginning of grate). scrape a couple inches of ashes off into ash pan and place my second strip of metal across grate. Or about the end on a clean grate. I then cover the bare grate area with pieces of lump charcoal and hit them with a propane torch for 15 or 20 seconds. Then I close the door and turn the stove on. The blower will have the charcoal going in a few minutes. I then shut the stove off, open the door and remove the top metal strip (with tongs) and dump a shovel of coal onto the glowing charcoal. Close the door and turn stove back on. in 10 to 12 minutes shut off stove again and remove lower metal strip. Close door, turn on stove and enjoy the heat. Usually have the stove running in 15 min or less.

mooseman100
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by mooseman100 » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 8:51 pm

I use an acetylene torch. I do a triangle of 3 small fires, hold torch appx 2 mi utes in each spot and the three little fires quickly grow to a big fire and off we go. I flip pawl so no auger action, just blower motor

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 8:54 pm

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Starter Bags

I make my own too, same as above, use shredded paper from my shredder, and broken up charcoal in a paper bag or newspaper.

A local hardware store sells the coal mice for $1, i usually grab a few to have on hand if I can't find any charcoal in the garage. LOL

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove

Post by k-2 » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Iv got it down to under a minute being i dont use my stove for hot water and start my stove often in the fall and spring. I use 3 charcoal bricketts and a small propane soldering torch. You could use matchlite charcoal if you dont have the torch. I break up the charcoal the size of rice coal and shovel it between the fresh coal and the ashes on the grate ,than light it with the torch and turn on the stoker. The stoker fan make the charcoal blaze in a few seconds. Then shovel a little rice coal on top. My alaska stove is different as the fire door is so far from the grate ,i have to do it all on the shovel then transfer it to the stove.

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 7:11 pm

I use wood. Start with very small, thin pieces. Once that is going good add a more wood on top of it. After 10-15 mins and it's going really good throw on the coal.

Virtually no smoke and no torch needed but a torch does make it easier.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 6:40 am

Don't know if you have any Amish in your area but I get my coal mice (what you first described) from the Amish guy I get my coal from. For me it's just the easiest way, light the fuse then wait a few seconds & start the power, in a few minutes I make sure it looks like it started then go have another cup of coffee. It all comes down to personal preference but different methods are always good to know!

unklechuckles19
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by unklechuckles19 » Sat. Nov. 18, 2017 8:01 am

Call me, those are my starters, I'll PM you my cell number. I'll see if I can find a dealer near you. Sounds like you have an older style, it was a small cardboard box with some stuff stamped on it. We've since changed the design to make it easier on the end user.

DJINN n TONIC
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by DJINN n TONIC » Sat. Nov. 18, 2017 11:03 pm

A little twist on mattw205's advice. A soup can , opened at both ends, take a can opener and punch 5 or 6 "V-notches" in the side of the can, the rest of the procedure is the same.
charcoletincanstove.jpg
.JPG | 128KB | charcoletincanstove.jpg

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 8:44 am

DJINN n TONIC wrote:
Sat. Nov. 18, 2017 11:03 pm
A little twist on mattw205's advice. A soup can , opened at both ends, take a can opener and punch 5 or 6 "V-notches" in the side of the can, the rest of the procedure is the same.charcoletincanstove.jpg
The Coal Rat

You will be hearing from our attorney's for patent infringement sir! That would be the firm of Dewey, Cheatim and Howell.

DJINN n TONIC
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by DJINN n TONIC » Mon. Nov. 20, 2017 1:28 pm

oops...sorry, didnt see that. But then again, someone had to have taught me about that!!!! Either waY, it does work.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”