Lighting the Stoker

kenharvey
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kenharvey » Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 6:49 pm

unklechuckles19 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 18, 2017 8:01 am
Call me, those are my starters, I'll PM you my cell number. I'll see if I can find a dealer near you. Sounds like you have an older style, it was a small cardboard box with some stuff stamped on it. We've since changed the design to make it easier on the end user.

kenharvey
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska

Post by kenharvey » Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 6:53 pm

I am looking to buy some mice to start my coal stove 570-332-4705 this is my number call and leave mesg

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 7:17 pm

The starter mice can be hard to get, people are cagey about mailing them. The good news is there are many other ways to start a coal stove. I have starter bags and mice and I choose those bags which I buy by the dozen from a local store.. I'm about 80% successful in my lighting attempts. Still other ways exist such as wood/charcoal chimnies. So if you can't get those mice reach out here.

csstoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II

Post by csstoker » Wed. Oct. 17, 2018 11:39 am

My local ace has the cardboard rectangular coal mice with the little green fuses. The guy that I get my coal from carries white circular, some kind of pressed paper with a lid, coal mice with the fuses. If you call around, you should be able to locate that. If needed, Alaska can tell you who your closest dealer/distributor is and they may have them. My personal preference is to usually keep a few on hand. My experience is that coal mice stock is annual and plentiful at the beginning of the season. I leave mine in a little paper bag by the dehumidifier, because over time, they will absorb moisture, which might turn into a dud light for you. I am still using last year's mice

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Oct. 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Matchlight Charcoal briquettes and as many dry pine cones as you can fit on the pot. Strike match, turn fan on lightly and add some coal on top as fire develops. Zero to full fire in 30-45 minutes.

I have done this for 10-12 years and it works every time including to get the big 1300 going, it’s a little more cantankerous than the 520’s though.

Pine cones are free but keep them dry.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”