Koker 160 Will Not Idle

Cuzz01
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Ele. HVAC

Post by Cuzz01 » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Third season burning stove. Starts right up and within 15-20 minuets convection comes on. Reaches thermo set point, relay drops out, stoker stops only runs when timer pins reach switch. Even removed T-T wire no dif.
Manometer reads same as every year 3 to 4 (Changes with weather), Checked turns on pusher bar I always ran at 5 out they suggest 4. Burn always looked correct.
Fan limit sw is really out of the loop but has always run as originally set, reset to suggested 110, 160, 220
Combustion fan set with screw thru plate from factory
Front temp reaches as high as 450-500 and continues high burn
All seems correct, what am I missing? Have tried multiple ideas with fresh fire up same results, will not go to idle!

HELP!
Thanks, Cuzz :?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:18 pm

is the pusher/stoker moving with the Timer/ldle Box? make sure it's working correctly, and it clicks on the stoker when the pins hit the switch. thats what keeps the idle fire going. the TT terminals are for your thermostat, make sure it clicks on/off when calling for heat.

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 3:56 am

When the thermo is satisfied the relay drops out (even tried with 1 of the "T" wires off at the relay box). Then as the timer turn and hits the pins the stoker activates, when off the pins the gear motor is de-energized.
Fire never goes down to idle.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 6:53 am

it takes a long time to settle down (HOURS). if you have full plate of coals burning, it will take a while to settle out to idle. unless the thermostat is dropping down enough to turn it back on. turn your thermostat down a few degrees so it can satisfy it sooner and let it run for a while and see if it settles down. it could a few hours depending.
if the stoker stops after the thermostat is satisfied and the timer box only runs the stoker on the pins, sounds like its working correctly. Whats your FEED rate screw set at? I think Kokers are like 6-8 turns out.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 10:28 am

Sounds like timer is working, but you do know the timer controls the idle cycles?, NOT TT.

TT is not keeping it feeding/burning, it is the timer doing this. Look there to get less run time.

And X2 on the slow response time to see what it settles into. Make small changes and wait an hour.

It is hard to get this setting during colder weather as idles can get skipped due to frequent heat call, easier to do when it is more mild weather.

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Thank you.

Answers to all questions posed by Hyfire1 and McGiever can be found in original post.

Hyfire1 - I did have my feed rate set originally at 6, Don from Keystoker suggested that it be set at 4 but that did not help. I am setting it back to 6 and go from there. Also will start the thermo below what the air temp is.

McGiever - I will pull a pin from each of the three set and see what happens.
Thanks,
Bruce

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 9:10 pm

If you bought new coal that too can account for some new burn properties.

See what pin removal does and after that you may see it necessary to look into backing down the feed some too.
Removing pins may not get it all set because you are limited by "holding the fire" too and you don't want an "out fire" from cutting timer back too far.

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 3:34 am

OK, 3 pins in timer all was well at 10PM.
2:30 AM - Smell of melting 1200 degree tape, stove front temp reads 550. limit switch wrapped up all the way clockwise. No convection, timer not turning, still burning..

Perhaps the "Old" coal from my original purchase is the problem, worked fine my first year. Even last year my supplier said I was getting "New" coal, burned it same as previous year. I presume he was referring to a "New" seam. Whats a million years or so...

Anyway, for two years no adjustments, this year the stove went nuts with all of the same adjustments.

BTW, once stove cools down the limit switch goes down, convection fan and motor work as normal.

If and when I get time this week I will be pulling the stove apart and checking everything. Can't imagine since I have done the same Spring time cleaning, lubing and re-installing for the past two years what might have happened! Well at least I can start the fire well with my "Rats" I build.

Any other suggestions, ideas are more than welcome - Thanks, Cuzz

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 9:32 pm

sounds like the convection blower temp switch isn't working or your convection blower isn't working, if your the limit switch went all the way around to cut off the stoker. stove got too hot. If it's the little black honeywell box with the white button, you should be able to push it in and the blower should come on. if it doesn't something is not correct.

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Fortunately I am a patient person, 6th time a charm! Success and thank you to all!

What I learned; When the limit switch over heats it really winds itself up, thus causing the convection not to function with the button in. You folks know your stuff...

The coal I got from my dealer was "new seam" coal, it does burn hotter, I mean hot!

Final action - 2 pins removed from each segment of the timer, 1 degree at a time up to old set point on thermo. First night I slept through in two weeks! Thank you, Thank you!

Cuzz

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Good follow up Cuzz. We all learn when we see the solution.
Thank you! :yes:

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 9:08 am

Well I'm back at it again! My settings are still at 2 pins per 3 sets, 4 3/4 CCW on pusher adj. Fire is about 1-1.5" from chute, don't really want to go much farther! Replaced batteries in thermo., It did work for a week then it got cold.

Can't believe in shorted thermo wires if they were shorted they would not just go good. Same with relay it drops in and out when it is supposed to. I am really surprised that there isn't a circuit is for overheat protection, similar to the circulation fan, but then that cuts off when it really overheats at that point continuous run selection does not even work.

At this point I'm going to get a new thermostat 2 winters of use may have worn it out.

Simple set up makes it frustrating. Must be the "Hot" coal last load from the dealer - LOL
Cuzz

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 9:21 am

WHOA There Cuzz!
Somethings not right, the blower saftey @ 200*, or you might of said yours at 220*, is to stop the burner/feeder to stop adding fuel to the fire. That plenum or bonnet switch does 2 things...fan control plud is a "High Limit" cut-out on/for burner..
Last edited by McGiever on Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 9:23 am

Does not stop the combustion blower! It does stop the stoker.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 9:31 am

Cuzz01 wrote:
Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 9:23 am
Does not stop the combustion blower! It does stop the stoker.

Okay, you got it then. :yes:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”