Koker will not maintain temp.

Vernoncoaler
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane Forced Air

Post by Vernoncoaler » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 11:53 am

Ever since I had a hopper fire at the end of 2015 any time outside temp drops into low teens or lower the stove can't maintain the temp in the house. Last night we dropped to 12, the thermostat was set @ 70. Got up at 6am and the house was 68.
After hopper fire replaced cam and screws on the stoker motor and the pusher block. This year I pulled the stoke unit out and had it rebuilt (cleaned, new cement, gasket for pusher block). Its a Koker 160 direct vent. The adjuster screw was turned all the way in then backed off 8 turns, manometer draft was @ .02 to .03, front of stove just above the door this morning had a temp of 424. Thinking about replacing the blower for the coal but not sure if that is going to solve it (thinking that it might be getting weak and is not pushing enough air). Have attached pictures of the fire is morning. the problem being that I can make a change but have to wait for the outside temp to drop before I can see if it worked or not. Any thoughts of where to go next would be great.

Attachments

11-11-17 Fire.JPG
.JPG | 292.7KB | 11-11-17 Fire.JPG
11-11-17 Fire 2.JPG
.JPG | 285.7KB | 11-11-17 Fire 2.JPG

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Are those pictures taken after a long call for heat? Seems to be way too much ash if those were taken after a half hour of more of running? If so, I'd turn the screw in a turn or turn and a half and then give it a few hours to see how it did. Should only be about 1.5 to 2 inches of ash after a long burn
Last edited by nepacoal on Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vernoncoaler

Post by Vernoncoaler » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Thermostat was calling for heat. I assume it was up at full burn because it was 68 in the house and the thermostat has be set at 70 since Thursday when I fired the stove. I gave the screw 2 turns. The problem being I had to leave for work so I could not check to see what happened. When this happened last year I would have to fire up the propane furnace to bring the house up to temp. Once it warms up for the day its fine.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 2:44 pm

You also have a slight half moon shape to the fire that might be caused by the new cement along the edges slowing down the coal. Next time you have it shut down you could sand the cement smooth with the burner plates so it is perfectly smooth all the way across. Something to check, anyway

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Should have a bigger fire after a long call for heat. I would turn the adjustment screw 1 turn wait a few hours and check the ash line. I too agree Nepacoal with sanding/smoothing the cemented perimeter. I did not do sand mine this last time and I have a slight smiley face ash line :oops:

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:22 pm

you can clean the fins on the convection blower too, compressed air, etc...make sure you keep it oiled too.
you should have more burning if it's been calling for heat and not reaching temperature setpoint. you should have about 1" (sometimes less) of ash if a full burn, and not pushing hot coals off. make small adjustments (1/2 to 1 turn in) and wait a couple hours for it to catch up and settle out. make sure it's always calling for heat, set it 1-2 degrees above room temp and keep an eye on it, things change and sometimes need slight adjustments to dial it in for max heat transfer.

Vernoncoaler

Post by Vernoncoaler » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Update. So the dealer (which will remain unnamed) didn't not do such a great job with sealing the grates. Had sides that were not smooth and where the grates meet hills and valleys there also. Sanded and smooth them all out. Put some new cement down where I chipped it away. Decided I would turn the blower on to make sure I had a good seal along the edges. Covered up the holes in the grate, turn the blower on and got a puff of dust out of the front where the bottom grates meet the stoker. So I sealed that now. Now just have to wait for it to drop into the low teens or zero to see if that worked.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Good to hear. Be sure to give us an update with new pics once you test it.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 9:28 pm

When applying cement smoothing the cement with a wet finger makes a like glass concaved finish. And keep a can of water handy to rinse and then repeat.
It's not how much cement you can put on, it's how little.
Sounds like somebody at the dealer doesn't like to get their hands dirty.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”