Which Power Vent for Alaska Stoker 2?

Mattw205
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska stoker 2

Post by Mattw205 » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 5:34 pm

I have an Alaska stoker 2. I’m looking to get a power vent for it. What power vent is it? Is it just the regular swg-4hds? They are on supply house for 350. But they say they are only approved for oil and gas? Also, where would you get a rheostat and the safety fume switch for it?
Last edited by Richard S. on Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title, please use descriptive titles. Thanks

philthy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoke Koker Lite, Alaska Kast Konsole
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6, Glenwood #116 x 2, Crawford 40

Post by philthy » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Matt, that’s the power vent you want - same one I have. I’m thinking you should be able to order the rest from there too but not sure.

Do you have a rheostat that came with the stoker? If so, I use mine that came with it to control the power vent. I run the combustion fan full tilt and adjust heat with carpet feed/stroke by adjusting the nut. Using the rheostat for combustion blower and feed never really worked that great imo.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 11:20 pm

A common "fume switch" is made by Fields same as the power vent.
WMO-1 Block Vent Safety Switch is what you want. :yes:

Mattw205
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska stoker 2

Post by Mattw205 » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:27 pm

I’m new to stokers and power vents. I always used hand fired. My ss chimney is damaged and now making enough draft so I was going to switch to a power vent. How often do you clean it and are there any other downsides? The stove stores all say chimney is the way to go but it seems like a power vent would be very convenient so you wouldn’t need to rely on weather conditions for the proper draft

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Mattw205 wrote:
Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:27 pm
I’m new to stokers and power vents. I always used hand fired. My ss chimney is damaged and now NOT making enough draft so I was going to switch to a power vent. How often do you clean it and are there any other downsides? The stove stores all say chimney is the way to go but it seems like a power vent would be very convenient so you wouldn’t need to rely on weather conditions for the proper draft
If it is metal and mechanical it will break and rot sooner than you think, but masonry will last 2 lifetimes, you do the math. ;)

When it breaks it will not be the nicest week day at mid-day, more like a holiday weekend at mid-night w/ record breaking new low temps, but wait, your probably a Lucky Guy, Right? :eh:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”