Hyfire 1 vs Hyfire 2

Coal4life
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice coal
Other Heating: oil fired forced air

Post by Coal4life » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi there. I'm fairly new to burning coal and new to the forum, so forgive me if my question seems ridiculous to some. I searched around the internet in general and around this forum and couldn't really find the answer to my question. I already own and use a Leisure Line Pioneer in my house and love it. I started out a couple of seasons ago with a Harman DVC-500. It heated really well, and cut my heating bill down from around $3000 a season with oil to around $800 a season with coal, but seemed much harder to regulate the heat than the LL Pioneer that I bought last season with its Coal-trol thermostat. Gotta love that Coal-trol. Now I have a chance to go buy a LL Hyfire that's listed on Craigslist for what I believe is a great price, but the owner says she isn't sure whether its the Hyfire 1 or the Hyfire 2. Can anyone here on the forum explain to me what the basic differences are between the Hyfire 1 and the Hyfire 2, and what advantages or disadvantages there are of one vs. the other? Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 06, 2017 5:38 am

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but the difference between the Hyfire 1 and the 2 is the 1 had two different sized stoker mechanisms where one of them was smaller. You can look inside yours to confirm. The Hyfire 2 has two 90K stoker mechanisms that are both the same size. Whatever the case the 2 has higher BTU output.

The current model is just named the Hyfire and was formerly the 2 with the higher BTU output. They scrapped the 1 because the price and BTU output was not that much different.

Coal4life
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice coal
Other Heating: oil fired forced air

Post by Coal4life » Mon. Nov. 06, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks for the response. So when I look inside the burn chamber, the two burn pots should be 2 different sizes if it's the Hyfire 1 and they should look exactly the same if it's the Hyfire 2? Just checking to make sure that's where I should be looking for the difference. Also, would the 2 distribution blowers then be different sizes too, or are they both still 265cfm blowers? I'm asking because the lady selling it said it was a 180,000 btu unit, but she also mentioned that she originally thought both distribution blower motors had quit working, but found out that only the smaller one needed to be replaced. Her mentioning 2 different sized distribution blowers kind of made me think it might not have two 90,000 btu burners (making it not actually a 180,000 btu unit. Sorry for so many questions. Like I said, pretty much just learning about coal stoves in the past couple years, but learned pretty quickly how much I loved the $ savings from switching to coal. Thanks again.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 06, 2017 7:23 pm

I have a Hyfire 1 and it does have 2 different sized burners, 90K and 45K I think, its rated 130K, the distribution blowers I believe are the same, the combustion blowers for the different grates are different size CFM I believe by the looks of them.
You can def. tell the size difference in the grates. If it doesn't have a coaltrol it can be easily converted. I converted mine and it runs great on the Coaltrol. I also have separate switch boxes for both burners and combustion blowers so I can run either or both and a custom heat jacket (since it's in the basement) to get the heat upstairs.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”