Alaska Hearth Model Stoker Venting

Macpack7
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Hearth Model

Post by Macpack7 » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 9:41 am

I’m new to coal stokers but not coal burning. I just removed my old handfired coal stove insert and replaced with a not new but new to me Alaska Stoker hearth model. What came with the stove for venting into my fireplace chimney is a flexible stainless steel pipe that long enough to reach into my second flue liner. My chimney had a very good draft on my old coal insert so I wasn’t worried about coal gases coming into my house. My question is since a coal Stoker need a combustion fan to keep burning should I line my chimney with an insulated 6” liner to the top of my chimney? Another question I have about this stove install is how would you seal the pipe going into the chimney, I seal/insulated my old stove at the face of the fireplace, this is something that is not an option with my Alaska Stoker

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Is this chimney on an outside wall or located in middle of house, no outside walls?

Do some SEARCH reading here at the site on "Liners"

Some would say wad a bunch of fiberglass insulation around flex pipe up in chimney damper area and you're good.

Others would say make a steel block off plate from a cardboard pattern you would make and then anchor and seal that plate around outside edges and likewise seal the flex pipe with a good RTV silicone caulk.

There's 2 ideas, maybe more will come.

Macpack7
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Hearth Model

Post by Macpack7 » Mon. Nov. 06, 2017 8:35 am

Thanks for the reply and ideas.
This chimney is on an outside wall. Right now I have high temp insulation packed in around the flex pipe. I just don't know if that's the best and safest way to go.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”