Gear motor amperage

Tramtizzle
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90

Post by Tramtizzle » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 7:48 am

How many amps should the gear motor be receiving? My thermostat calls for heat, both green and red lights on my Taco relay, but gear motor turns for 3 seconds and stops. Pulled unit and had coal supply guy check it out, says its good, lubed it up, new nylon screws, all cleaned up. Push bar moves freely. Turned threaded rod all the way clockwise, backed out 4 turns. Only getting 1-2 amps though at gear motor. Need help, don't really want a service call charge.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 9:01 am

What does the motor plate say for amp rating? Should be around a quarter to a third of that.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 9:11 am

i wouldnt' think it would draw more than the 1-2 amps due to the gearing, those motors are quite smalle. unless the gearbox has a bad tooth in it or something else is letting it jam in the pusher area. Check all the wiring to make sure no loose connections, might show connected and run briefly, but under load it stops. check thermostat wiring too. can you jumper the thermostat wiring and make it run constant? that would tell you if the thermostat is good or not, then see if it runs freely not hooked up to the pusher. process of elimination.

Tramtizzle
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90

Post by Tramtizzle » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 1:53 pm

I can hear a click when I turn the thermostat up and down past the room temp. I seems to turn when not in the stove, but when there's tension (from the pushbar) it moves for a couple seconds and stops.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Sounds to me like you probably need a new stoker motor. Is there voltage at the terminals after it stops turning? Call Keystoker and ask their opinion. I bet they have seen this symptom before. They have great customer service.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”