Power Vent Inner Tube Rust

bbnx

Post by bbnx » Fri. Nov. 03, 2017 3:08 pm

I have a Hyfire II, been using it for 10 years. Best move I've ever made.... Found surface rust in the inner tube of the Power Vent this Fall. Spoke with a Dura Vent rep and he indicated that it shouldn't be a problem since the inner tube has holes in it by design to suck cold air from the outer tube.

Has anyone had an experience with the Power Vent rusting...? Just looking for anyone else's experience with this as it is a bit disconcerting as that tube is running through the wall of my house, even though it is just hot air. Not sure if I should replace it or not? Hate to spend the $$ if I don't need too.

Thanks...

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Nov. 03, 2017 3:19 pm

If just surface rust, its nothing.

But how do you know its just surface rust?

The thickness of such things is not that great.

What looks like just a dusting of rust is actually a tube ready to fail.

bbnx

Post by bbnx » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 11:15 am

I'm confident it's just top layer superficial rust. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced that issue and if they used the Power Vent or replaced it.... Relatively expensive to replace so I'm hoping that is not the end result.

bbnx

Post by bbnx » Tue. Nov. 07, 2017 8:34 am

Problem solved - I was able to get my hand inside the tube to clean the area and the "rust" was actually just dust from the coal burn that had rust color in several areas. I removed the dust and the stainless is not showing any signs of rust.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”