Help with a new Keystoker 105

gravely800
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105

Post by gravely800 » Mon. Oct. 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get a little help with the install of my Keystoker 105. The manual says to bend the tabs inside of the hopper down, I used pliers and a little force with the back side of a pair of channel locks, but I'm not sure how far I should be bending the metal down. My other question is how to mount the timer box. The manual states not to mount it to the stove body. I'm trying to figure out if drilling a hole in the back of the hopper with a stainless bolt is the way to go. Any help would be really appreciated. From there, I'll be able to get it set in to position for the rest of the plumbing of the exhaust pipe. Thanks!

Jason

Attachments

20171028_160908.jpg
.JPG | 205.1KB | 20171028_160908.jpg
20171028_161850.jpg
.JPG | 13.6KB | 20171028_161850.jpg

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 11:27 am

gravely800 wrote:
Mon. Oct. 30, 2017 6:36 pm
The manual says to bend the tabs inside of the hopper down, I used pliers and a little force with the back side of a pair of channel locks, but I'm not sure how far I should be bending the metal down
The tabs should be bent straight down about 90 degrees to fit inside the stoker opening.

gravely800 wrote:
Mon. Oct. 30, 2017 6:36 pm
My other question is how to mount the timer box. The manual states not to mount it to the stove body. I'm trying to figure out if drilling a hole in the back of the hopper with a stainless bolt is the way to go.
NO don't drill into stove body for sure. Mounting the control on the hopper is acceptable as others have done that, you also may want to consider mounting it on a near by wall the will be easily accessible.

Neat fire door... :)

gravely800

Post by gravely800 » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 5:45 pm

Now that I have the stove moved in I like the idea of mounting that timer on the back wall. I used a block of wood and a hammer to try to get the tabs bent down. I guess time will tell, but I think it looks adequate to allow coal to fall. I love the door glass and it's elk insert. I had another post about the glass insert but not much response.

cntbill

Post by cntbill » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Yes you would want easy asses to the timer especially since it is a new stove to you, as you will most likely have to adjust/set it for proper burn for your setup a few times. The opening for the bin doesn't have to be perfect, it just lets coal in and helps with support and alignment.

And I did see your other post on the door glass insert, but the Facebook link threw me as I don't do Facebook... but really that would be a route I'd take if I still had my Keystoker. Just wonder why there isn't more info on them.

gravely800

Post by gravely800 » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 8:20 pm

I wonder the same thing. I don't have facebook either but was able to view keystoker's facebook page via google. There's a lot more info there in terms of pictures that they don't advertise, even to their dealers or in brochures.

If I mount it to the wall I'll still have access even if I have to get down on my knees. Is there usually much adjusting to do? I have a 30x40 ranch that I recently added a second floor cape style addition to. I know all situations are different, just wondering what would make adjusting the timer necessary. I really don't understand its function and would appreciate any explanation. Thank you.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 9:13 pm

"Keep Fire Timer"

Maintains or keeps, at a minimum, an idle fire so the fire never goes out due to any extended idle time in between heat calls.

cntbill

Post by cntbill » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Ok, this is my explanation/understanding of timers. The timer basically keeps the stove running, from going out when there is No call for heat. The timer runs the stoker for X amount of time, I.E. depending on the timer like the one I used it would turn on the stoker for about 1 min and 30 sec every 10 or so minutes, keeping the fire lit on the stoker. Here is a link to what I went through setting up the timer for my one Keystoker: Post by cntbill - Another Timer Question

Hope this will give you a better understanding or there are many other timer post just do a quick forum search for much better info than I know.

cntbill

Post by cntbill » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 9:16 pm

McGiever wrote:
Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 9:13 pm
"Keep Fire Timer"

Maintains or keeps, at a minimum, an idle fire so the fire never goes out due to any extended idle time in between heat calls.
Beat me to it... I type to slooow... and a much better short explanation ;)

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 10:20 pm

Another quick explanation of timer function is: The timer is for adjusting the size of idle fire. You can adjust the size of idle fire for reducing lag time. Very important on KEYSTOKER's stoker boilers. I'm sure it goes for stoves as well.

So, as you can see; the timer does two things. 1.) keeps minimal fire for times where there is no call for heat (warmer weather). 2.) Keeps a little bigger/hotter idle fire for quicker response during colder weather.

I believe my brother keeps 3 groups of 4 pins. Without looking, I believe my Kaa-2 boiler is also 3 groups of 4 pins.

gravely800

Post by gravely800 » Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks guys, all good explanations that make a lot of sense. Once I have it installed and fired up I'm thinking I should be able to determine what adjustments I need to make. Is it common to make these adjustments as the outside air temps change? Or do most people try to find a happy medium and set it and forget it?

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 6:22 pm

I have my 30 minute timer set with 4/3/3 pins. My stoker motor runs at just over 1.5 RPM and I have the feed set at about 9 turns out. The older koker type stokers ran at 1 RPM and would be set at about 6 turns out. I may change it to 4/4/4 during the very coldest weather but probably not. I run year around for DHW.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”