Chimney length

dgozz122
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc 500
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: WEIL-McLAIN Gold oil

Post by dgozz122 » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Hey guys,
Today I walked outside and got smacked in the face with the smell of sulfer. I have a Harman DVC 500 that has the 4" exhaust pipe that is about 4 foot tall. The problem I seem to be having is when I walk out the back door the exhaust is right in line with your face. So my question is, would it affect anything if I were to add another 4-8' of pipe to get it up higher? My thoughts are it would not affect it but I want to make sure of it before I proceed.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Yes! Or my install method was down to a 3" pipe that moved gases further from the door. I am scared of the dark so I am not going outside now but will send a pic tomorrow if you like. It works good.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Oh man, I love the smell of that anthy burning lol

Even with a 25 foot chimney, I can still smell it when I go outside, if the wind is blowing the right way.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 10:40 pm
Oh man, I love the smell of that anthy burning lol

Even with a 25 foot chimney, I can still smell it when I go outside, if the wind is blowing the right way.
Yep, I like it too.... Im not sure I'd want the straight blast from a few feet away from the chimney though.

I caught myself trying to get downwind to smell it yesterday after I lit it up for the season... I think I might need help :lol:

OP, if you do raise it somehow you will still smell it sometimes but you wont get blasted in the face.

dgozz122
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc 500
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: WEIL-McLAIN Gold oil

Post by dgozz122 » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Yeh, I'm not worried about smelling it once in awhile it's more the other half that doesn't want to smell sulfer every time she walks outside. It is rather strong, the wind was blowing just right today that everytime we walked out the back door your choking on it. So like I said I just want to get one or two 60" pieces to get it out of your face.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Oct. 29, 2017 7:22 am

dgozz122 wrote:
Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 11:50 pm
Yeh, I'm not worried about smelling it once in awhile it's more the other half that doesn't want to smell sulfer every time she walks outside. It is rather strong, the wind was blowing just right today that everytime we walked out the back door your choking on it. So like I said I just want to get one or two 60" pieces to get it out of your face.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”