Newbie Question

dlimanov

Post by dlimanov » Fri. Jun. 13, 2008 11:02 pm

beatle et all: thank you for referring me to AHS, I did come across their website in my searches but didn't know they were worth the look. It appears their products are also certified, so it may be an option.
Potentially dumb question if you guys don't mind: since I'm planning to run coal boiler in parallel with existing oil one, wouldn't it be easier to just install a dual-fuel boiler like the one AHS sells (http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/Multi-Fuel ... oilers.htm) and get the best of both worlds? Are these much more expensive, or much less efficient then two separate boilers (oil and coal, in my case)? Any reason why these are not a good alternative then parallel setup?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jun. 13, 2008 11:21 pm

dlimanov wrote:It appears their products are also certified, so it may be an option.
I believe someone mentioned there is drastic price difference between one that is stamped and one that is not. The difference being a little tag. :roll:

dlimanov

Post by dlimanov » Fri. Jun. 13, 2008 11:53 pm

I know, how retarded is that?! Unfortunately, I am pretty much at the mercy of the town inspector here, it's a matter of him willing to pick up the phone and talk to folks at Keystoker.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jun. 14, 2008 3:03 am

I was referring to the A-A or AHS. It was posted one of them comes with a ASME stamp but its a considerable amount extra than the same exact furnace without the stamp.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jun. 14, 2008 4:56 am

6 weeks ago the regular AHS130 was $5,500 and the ASME one was $7,500. The AHS is $5,800 now, so I assume the ASME is $7,800.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Jun. 14, 2008 8:41 am

dlimanov wrote: It looks ridiculously large in the pictures and I doubt will fit in my basement.
The AA-130 looks large in the photos, I was surprised how small it was the first time I saw one in person. It almost looked too small to produce as much heat as it does. :D

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Jun. 14, 2008 10:21 am

That's exactly the reaction my coal dealer had when I showed him my boiler. He once did boiler installs, mostly EFM. He couldn't believe it could produce enough heat. After several years of use I can confidently say it produces more that enough heat, more than enough heat for all but the largest modern insulated homes.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Sat. Jun. 14, 2008 1:37 pm

Richard S. wrote:
dlimanov wrote:It appears their products are also certified, so it may be an option.
I believe someone mentioned there is drastic price difference between one that is stamped and one that is not. The difference being a little tag. :roll:
perhaps if your inspector will call AHS or Keystoker and finds out that they are the same boiler, except they had to pay to have the official stamp put on he will give you a break.

It also might help to explain to him that Anthracite should not be confused with Bit' coal and that Anthr. coal burns VERY clean, comparable to oil. It might help persuade him to help you out!

dlimanov

Post by dlimanov » Sun. Jun. 15, 2008 2:56 pm

I will be calling town inspector tomorrow to see if he'll even consider talking about non-certified unit. Hopefully I can then get him in touch with Keystoker to reassure him it's as good as certified.
On a separate question that I asked about combo (oil/coal) heaters, does anyone have any feedback? Sure would like to have a backup plan in case Keystoker is not going to happen.
Thanks everyone for your input

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Jun. 15, 2008 5:18 pm

I'd stick with your original plan and run the existing oil boiler in tandem with the coal boiler. The only reason I'd consider uninstalling it is if room is an issue. From my understanding the oil add-ons are not that efficient because they are utilizing a boiler designed for coal. The other thing to consider is you truly have an independent backup.

The EFM's are ASME stamped and the cost includes the stamp so they may actually be less then the AHS with a stamp if the prices quoted above are correct..

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jun. 15, 2008 10:08 pm

dlimanov wrote:I will be calling town inspector tomorrow to see if he'll even consider talking about non-certified unit.
You may want to mention that the Keystoker boilers are rated for steam, might be a good nudge.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”