Still Burning..Since October 1st... Thanks to Low Idleing..

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Tue. May. 16, 2017 6:41 am

I'm done for the season--80's tomorrow & Thurs. then back to the 70's for at least a week or so. I'll shake down this PM--open draft wide & let her burn out--usually takes around 3 days. THEN---clean the old girl out real good--WD the tears out of her, brush chimney--close MPD open ash door vents wide & wait for next season
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post Tue. May. 16, 2017 7:35 pm

freetown fred wrote:I'm done for the season--80's tomorrow & Thurs. then back to the 70's for at least a week or so. I'll shake down this PM--open draft wide & let her burn out--usually takes around 3 days. THEN---clean the old girl out real good--WD the tears out of her, brush chimney--close MPD open ash door vents wide & wait for next season
me 2...

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

Post Tue. May. 16, 2017 9:52 pm

This will be the first time ever, the stoker will be burned down to about 2lbs of coal before it goes out tonite. Timing is everything. The final years tally of coal usage to follow. :clap:

captcaper
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Super Magnum
Stove/Furnace Model: Super Magnum Stoker

Post Fri. May. 19, 2017 5:39 am

I'm not cleaning it out yet.. I'll wait a week or so..I have a light blub of 60 watts going in the ash pan to keep it rust free until then.. We get cold spells for sure up here...it's going to be 38 deg here tomorrow am...usually when a rain spell like last week. But it doesn't seem to be one coming... I may light it for a day or two this weekend to warm up a bit..
Current Stove Harman Super Magnum
Owned before
Harman Mark III Wood Parlor stove Scandia Wood Stove 2 Chubby Coal Stoves Small Pot Belly Cast Iron

captcaper

Post Tue. Jun. 06, 2017 7:34 am

Still going.. in the 40's here and raw with rain... first season in 12 yrs I've been here I've run the stove well into June.. This coming week end might be the last..I mean come on... where's summer? Good thing is I don't have to tend it but every few days or so.. unlike winter here...
Attachments
33 below.jpg
Good Coal burning weather
Owned before
Harman Mark III Wood Parlor stove Scandia Wood Stove 2 Chubby Coal Stoves Small Pot Belly Cast Iron

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Tue. Jun. 06, 2017 10:33 am

WELLLLLLL, none of that happened--still burnin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
freetown fred wrote:I'm done for the season--80's tomorrow & Thurs. then back to the 70's for at least a week or so. I'll shake down this PM--open draft wide & let her burn out--usually takes around 3 days. THEN---clean the old girl out real good--WD the tears out of her, brush chimney--close MPD open ash door vents wide & wait for next season
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson
Stove/Furnace Make: Thermopride
Stove/Furnace Model: oil fired

Post Tue. Jun. 06, 2017 4:34 pm

I must be missin something here Capt. Why is your thermometer reading 30° below zero? Are you in Antarctica? The top of Mount Everest? Posting nostalgic photos? :shifty:
I got coal in my Christmas stocking. (Yey!)
http://nepacrossroads.com/about36489.html

captcaper

Post Wed. Jun. 07, 2017 7:04 am

joeq wrote:I must be missin something here Capt. Why is your thermometer reading 30° below zero? Are you in Antarctica? The top of Mount Everest? Posting nostalgic photos? :shifty:
Posting nostalgic photos.. showing how winter can be here..
Owned before

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Wed. Jun. 07, 2017 10:56 pm

I've got a wood fire going tonight. It should be the last one till fall. Already two weeks late getting into the pool...

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson
Stove/Furnace Make: Thermopride
Stove/Furnace Model: oil fired

Post Wed. Jun. 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Hey Lee, I've pumped numerous amounts of water off the top of my pool cover, cause the flippen rain won't stop. My pool pump and filter are all hooked up, primed, water level is all topped off, and all is ready to go, but the cover is still on, cause this NE weather just plain..."SUCKS". Guess this week-end, there might be a break.
I got coal in my Christmas stocking. (Yey!)
http://nepacrossroads.com/about36489.html

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Frankenstove
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite
Other Heating: wood and a little LP

Post Thu. Jun. 08, 2017 8:37 am

Its supposed to be in the 90's here this weekend.... it sure is nice to live in the tropics! :)
I'm just an old chunk of coal now Lord but I'm gonna be a diamond some day - Billy Joe Shaver

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water Baseboard

Post Thu. Jun. 08, 2017 10:18 am

Well, I brushed and vacuumed today. Then i brushed and vacuumed some more. Been burning since September. Lots of fines under the flat grates this year.

Light bulb is lit on the grates, and plugged the flu with some old bath towels. Then vacuumed the whole basement. I usually plan on consuming a bag and filter for the event.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”