Harman Super Magnum, up and Running!!

guysnydr
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Super Magnum
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Previous stove - Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil Fired Forced Hot Air

Post by guysnydr » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks all for your help with my many questions about my new-to-me Harman Super Magnum. Not new to coal burning but new to stokers. You guys were a big help!

I got her lit up this morning and so far so good! No idea why the pics are sideways, not that way on my PC. Oh well. You get the idea... :)

Attachments

20170219_113436.jpg
.JPG | 83.6KB | 20170219_113436.jpg
20170219_113527.jpg
.JPG | 86.5KB | 20170219_113527.jpg

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Now that is a beautiful site!

-Don

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Looks nice.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Nothing like an orange glow!! :clap:

Seagrave1963
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace

Post by Seagrave1963 » Mon. Feb. 20, 2017 10:11 am

very nice! setup looks great - very sleek, clean!

guysnydr
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Super Magnum
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Previous stove - Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil Fired Forced Hot Air

Post by guysnydr » Mon. Feb. 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks all! Appreciate the kind feedback!

Only been running for a day, but I have to say, I am loving this stove so far! I really hated spending the money on a stove right now, but I have been considering a stoker for a couple years now and I just couldn't turn down $1500 for a lightly used 3 year old Super Mag! Strike when the iron's hot as the old saying goes I guess! Local dealer was just over $4,000 for the same stove with tax.

What I am loving most is that yesterday I set the thermostat for 70 degrees and that's pretty much where the house stayed. When I got up this morning my thermometer upstairs read - 70 degrees! The house was perfect! With my old hand fired Mark III I would have had to "guess" how many turns to leave the draft open and "hope" it was not too hot, or too cold in the house the next morning. If this thing works like it says it does, and so far it seems to, I am going to be one happy camper!

Also, the wife always struggled with the hand fired, she HATED when I would leave for a couple of days because she just never got the knack for running it for some reason. I would tell her exactly what to do and when etc., and usually when I got back home after a few days, I would come back to a highly irritated wife (regarding the coal fire) and the oil furnace running. Though she would deny it, I personally believe that she would forget to check it twice a day, like you have to and she would let it go too long and when she did finally get to it, she couldn't get the fire back. I guess it's easy to do when you aren't use to thinking about it, so can't blame her completely. In any case, hopefully I won't have to deal with that scenario anymore since all she has to do is keep it filled and keep an eye on the ash pan! "Happy wife = happy life!!"

Thanks again all!

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Feb. 21, 2017 7:02 am

guysnydr wrote:Thanks all! Appreciate the kind feedback!

Only been running for a day, but I have to say, I am loving this stove so far! I really hated spending the money on a stove right now, but I have been considering a stoker for a couple years now and I just couldn't turn down $1500 for a lightly used 3 year old Super Mag! Strike when the iron's hot as the old saying goes I guess! Local dealer was just over $4,000 for the same stove with tax.

What I am loving most is that yesterday I set the thermostat for 70 degrees and that's pretty much where the house stayed. When I got up this morning my thermometer upstairs read - 70 degrees! The house was perfect! With my old hand fired Mark III I would have had to "guess" how many turns to leave the draft open and "hope" it was not too hot, or too cold in the house the next morning. If this thing works like it says it does, and so far it seems to, I am going to be one happy camper!

Also, the wife always struggled with the hand fired, she HATED when I would leave for a couple of days because she just never got the knack for running it for some reason. I would tell her exactly what to do and when etc., and usually when I got back home after a few days, I would come back to a highly irritated wife (regarding the coal fire) and the oil furnace running. Though she would deny it, I personally believe that she would forget to check it twice a day, like you have to and she would let it go too long and when she did finally get to it, she couldn't get the fire back. I guess it's easy to do when you aren't use to thinking about it, so can't blame her completely. In any case, hopefully I won't have to deal with that scenario anymore since all she has to do is keep it filled and keep an eye on the ash pan! "Happy wife = happy life!!"

Thanks again all!
We've all been there...just like you testified.. I wish I got one many years ago..

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”