Questions: Firing up My Harman Super Magnum for First Time

guysnydr
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Super Magnum
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Previous stove - Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil Fired Forced Hot Air

Post by guysnydr » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi all, I bought a lightly used Harman Super Magnum a little while back and was waiting until I used up all my nut coal for my current Mark III before installing the new stove. I am finally ready to stretch the legs on the Super Mag and plan on installing it this weekend.

I have a couple of questions though before I do:

I have read through the manual so I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do to fire it up, but thought I would see what feed rates you guys are finding that work on yours? I see the manual suggests starting at #4. I plan on using the room temperature setting, I guess I should set that to Low to start out with, correct?

I have a ranch house with about 18' of stainless double wall chimney. I am going to install a barometric damper, but I see that the manual says I need to set the draft using a manometer. I don't have a manometer and don't know anyone who does. How critical is this going to be? I hate to buy one to use one time. The previous owner had the combustion blower restrictor plate wide open, is there any other way to set this plate without the manometer, or a common setting that seems to work for everyone else, etc? I guess I am open to buying a manometer if I need to but I am hoping someone here might have a workaround for me?

Any other suggestions from any of you before I light this thing up?

Thank you in advance! You guys are always very helpful and it is appreciated.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 1:01 pm

I suggest getting a manometer or magnehelic to use not only for setting up the stove but also leaving it connected to keep an eye on the draft number. It can be useful to indicate a draft problem is trending before it becomes a real problem with CO in the house.

I believe captcaper indicated the restrictor plate being 1/2 open is a good place to start with the super mag's. That is about where I run my old style mag stoker restrictor plate. The manometer reading will tell you for sure how far open would be a danger.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Many posts here on how to setup a super mag.. do some searching...

mine is restrictor plate 1/2 way... feed 2 1/2 .... probe for room temp set in my living area.. added about 20 ft to make it there. That is fine to do. Hot air fan set about 1/3 of the way.. everything is auto with the super mag... so if it needs more heat or no heat it will override your settings and keep the probe room within 1 or 2 deg f...

You need a manometer to set the barometic damper so it reads .4 to .6 when burning real hot to keep the house warm.... like in 0 outside or so. We have ours put in permanently to monitor it thru out the season.. also you need a clean out tee because the ash will build so much it will restrict the flow of exhaust soon or later.. the manometer will show you this as draft goes down.

There has be a few recent posts on this stove... but many on the baro meter install etc. as well.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”