Harman Magnum Not Getting Hotter Than 70

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Jan. 27, 2017 7:15 am

Kramer1782 wrote:Thanks. This family has definitely helped with that curve.
Mentioned above you said you haven't cleaned the flue pipe.. that is a must... at least 2 times a season.. if you don't have a clean out you should put one in... That effects draft alot.. ask me how I know..

Kramer1782
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Electric baseboards (Utilized as backup)

Post by Kramer1782 » Fri. Jan. 27, 2017 11:18 pm

I did measure the forks and they are still 1 3/4". I plan on cleaning the horizontal of the flue tomorrow. Currently my feed rate pushes 2 1/2 or 3 dots. It is hard to tell since I don't have the pointer attachment. Also it appears as though the previous owner ran wet coal consistently. The bottom of the hopper is completely rotted and has fallen off. I have reformed the area with sheet metal from an old metal chair for now and will make a new hopper for next season. I tried to post some pictures last night but the site would not let me. I will make another attempt tonight.

Kramer1782

Post by Kramer1782 » Fri. Jan. 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Some pictures of the progress and current status.

Attachments

image.jpeg

Pilot mode.

.JPEG | 175.6KB | image.jpeg

Kramer1782

Post by Kramer1782 » Fri. Jan. 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Continued.

Attachments

image.jpeg

Operation

.JPEG | 119.4KB | image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Fines tray

.JPEG | 102.8KB | image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ash pan with fines dumped in

.JPEG | 245.9KB | image.jpeg
Last edited by Kramer1782 on Fri. Jan. 27, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kramer1782

Post by Kramer1782 » Fri. Jan. 27, 2017 11:36 pm

Continued.

Attachments

image.jpeg

Current coal storage situation.

.JPEG | 176.3KB | image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Temporary fix for the wet coal.

.JPEG | 171.2KB | image.jpeg

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 8:06 am

Its good the fork wasn't spread out. Besides the rotted hopper you can tell wet coal went through there from the white-ish stain below the slot where the block movement gauge is supposed to be. That is from moisture seeping out the slot and I would bet the indicator rusted off from it. You could make your own indicator, there is a threaded hole in the side of the block there, just poke a bolt through a small piece of sheet metal and into the pusher block. I painted mine white so its easier to see against the black stoker housing.

+1 on captcaper's suggestion to clean the flue pipe. Since you have not used this unit before this year it is a good idea to at least take a look at the pipe after a ton and see how much is accumulated than you can decide on an appropriate clean out schedule based on tons burned. A lot of us have the 'T' in place of a 90 and can clean out without shutting down. Just wait for it to be in idle mode for a couple hours so it is cooler and put a shop vac wand in the horizontal pipe. Use a dry wall dust bag filter in the shop vac and the fly ash should be contained.

Your first post says the grate holes were open. You may want to use a 3/16" drill bit to make sure they are as open as they are supposed to be. You don't need the drill just twist the bit with your fingers in each hole to clear any boogers.

I noticed the fan has some dirt and dust on the screen. I would pull both off and clean the screens and the cupped blades. There are holes in the housing of the blower motors for oil if you look closely, just a drop or two in each. The fork shaft and also the feed motor can be oiled but it is harder to get to those with the hopper on.

The ash looks good to me....thoroughly burned up!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 8:22 am

One very important question that should of been asked from the begining...Is this Mag with one big glass or 3 smaller glass in door?

The 3 glass being the older style has unique issues that require different remedies, there were few of these before changed for a big improvement in design.

If stove is 1 piece glass in door, advice so far is spot on. :)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 8:45 am

Good Point McG! I am thinking newer version since its not a flat top and I think I see the two grates rather than 1. Those are both indicators of the newer version, correct?

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 8:40 am

titleist1 wrote:Good Point McG! I am thinking newer version since its not a flat top and I think I see the two grates rather than 1. Those are both indicators of the newer version, correct?
Yep, Correct. :)

Kramer1782

Post by Kramer1782 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Yes it is the new style with two grates and single lane of glass. I did run a 3/16" bit through the holes first off and may not have specified that I did so. I plan on adding a "t" next year but not to sure how effective it will be as my distribution pipe is right in front of the flue pipe. I may play around with the duct work next year and replace it all. Thanks for the pointers on the fans I will look at them again. I have not yet been able to get the combustion fan actually to slide off like the distribution fan does. My guess is that it is likely rusted on there pretty good.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sun. Feb. 05, 2017 6:12 am

Kramer1782 wrote:Yes it is the new style with two grates and single lane of glass. I did run a 3/16" bit through the holes first off and may not have specified that I did so. I plan on adding a "t" next year but not to sure how effective it will be as my distribution pipe is right in front of the flue pipe. I may play around with the duct work next year and replace it all. Thanks for the pointers on the fans I will look at them again. I have not yet been able to get the combustion fan actually to slide off like the distribution fan does. My guess is that it is likely rusted on there pretty good.
You'll have to start spraying with PB blaster or oil and tapping on it side to side gently.. it should loosen eventually.

Kramer1782

Post by Kramer1782 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Yeah that's my plan just haven't gotten back to it. I'm sure I can work the combustion fan out just haven't put much effort or elbow grease into it yet. Looking back through this thread I realize I inherited a stove in pretty bad shape. I sure am glad I found this group and am able to correct all the issues and get the stove dialed in right. Thanks for the support.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Feb. 05, 2017 11:01 pm

On that stuck fan, rubber or "dead blow mallet" is your friend. ;)

Kramer1782

Post by Kramer1782 » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Indeed. I'm sure it would not take to kindly to a 2lb negotiator.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 1:51 pm

McGiever wrote:On that stuck fan, rubber or "dead blow mallet" is your friend. ;)
That's your answer to everything.....

Pats are losing in 4th qtr? Hit Brady with a hammer.

It works...but still poor Tommy

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”