Harman Magnum Not Getting Hotter Than 70

Catlingrl
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Legacy Super Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Hot water baseboard (upstairs only)

Post by Catlingrl » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 11:17 am

Purchased Legacy Super Magnum Coal Stoker December 2016. Dealer gave us a deal on a PIA Harman TL3000 that we had paid $3000 in fall 2010 and the combustion chamber was shot and couldn't get Harman to honor any repair even though it was just 5.5 seasons old. The Super Magnum dealer said they would give us $500 for the TL300 on a new coal stove, and... remove it and install new stove. As my husband is unable to do chores at home any longer because of suffering a major stroke in March of 2015, at age 61 and retired just 30 days, so that sounded good to me. The coal stoker was installed and a run through of adding coal and emptying ashes was given. They filled the hopper with bagged coal and left a happy couple with a lovely glow from new stove. It ran that way for couple days, then after that not quite as bright and hot as did the day installed. The weather was mild so we didn't really need much more than it was putting out. New to it all, I didn't think too much. Then the flame was a weak little thing, and stove was not getting warm enough to even make fan come on. Called and dealer came out to look at it. Oh, wet coal had gotten all smushed up down inside, and just wasn't working. I had only added coal just as I was shown to. Did notice that when taking lid off hopper would get drenched with condensation from the lid! Normal? I don't know. He cleaned it all out, and took care of a MAJOR squeak in the feed. What a relief. So that lasted just a few days, had to go out of town for family funeral, let stove go out as it was making a terrible grinding thumping sound. After returning, tried to start stove back up, ended up getting son in law to come start it, the "mice" I had just wouldn't work. He used charcoal and a propane torch and started it right up. The grinding and thumping was horrible, and there was a sound of bass drum type thump. So dealer was called again, came up and took feed area all apart lubricated and replaced in stove. It ran like a champ for 1.5 days, then back to barely hot enough run fan. I had not put anymore wet coal in, actually feel like a scientist scooping coal off top of several bags each time to put in hopper. Son in law left couple buckets he uses that have holes drilled in bottom, used those as well. Trouble is if the hopper lid is put on like it supposed to be, the condensation in the hopper is like a flood! Walls of hopper are dripping wet. I have taken to leaving the lid ajar, has helped. It got cold and we couldn't keep living area above 67 with a 108,000 BTU Super Magnum! I was ready to call dealer again, went down and was looking things over and decided to move the room temperature sensor, it was hanging over a nail not far away from the stove. I lay it down on the hearth in front of former wood storage area. Left it there for a few hours, started getting more heat... hmmm on to something. Sure enough, the glow from the stove is outstanding and after a few hours I put the sensor 'wire' up about 10 inches. Putting out the heat I expected from it now. Still have to get a system of handling the coal to dry. I have to do this myself, so 55 gal drums etc won't work. My son in law runs our skid steer to move the pallet of coal in for me, it sets right outside the basement door, recently he moved it into the garage to see if it helps it dry before bringing it in, but now I have to stack bags on a sled and pull it down to basement door and carry in from there, works long as there is snow on the ground. Plan is to get 2 large shallow totes, poke holes in one, in the other put on floor in basement, put some sort of blocks in four corners to hold the other one with holes up off bottom. Hoping this system will work to keep coal dry enough. Future plan is to build a chute and bin from stainless steel have on hand, for the cellar way door (steps removed each winter and firewood thrown in, with sliding barn door at bottom where can access it). Husband can design it but he just can't do the actual work of building and installing. Son in law is willing to work on this. Hoping to be a Happy Coal Stoker owner by end of 2016/2017 heating season. Up until now, I have not been. Sorry to run on, have been Very frustrated with this stove until last night. Temp is very mild out, so hoping I can get it to run this way next time it dips down to COLD.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Welcome to the forum catlingrl. Sorry about the frustration you have had so far. Unfortunately the lack of info from your Harman dealer is too often the case. Glad you found the forum to help you master burning the black rocks!! Required safety question....Do you have a couple CO monitors!? Please get them if you don't - Kidde Nighthawk is a popular one.

I think most of us put the thermostat where we want to feel the heat. Mine is upstairs and reacts to the temps up there , the stoker is in the basement. I have a CO monitor upstairs and in the basement.

Yes, as you found out wet coal is NOT to be put in the hopper. If you are still getting condensation in the hopper when using DRY coal I would be concerned about exhaust coming through the hopper. (stressing CO Monitor importance again!) Do you have a chimney or a direct / power vent set up? Do you know if the dealer measured the draft and set up the combustion fan for you?

Captcaper knows the super mag's very well.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi cat.....if you finish filling out your profile especially the town and state where you live, maybe a forum member is close by and could help you. As one member of the forum says, nobody is gonna steal ya if you tell us where yur at!!!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 3:04 pm

There are ways to help dry your coal for this year, like a shallow plastic kiddy pool with the coal spread out in it or if its not too wet, slit the bags open long ways and lay around the stoker. Since yours is in the basement you can be less neat than if it was in the living room.

Long term for next year getting a bulk delivery in the summer and giving it time to dry out is the way to go.

For moving the coal have a look at some of the coal vacuum threads here. By using a shop vac (or two in some cases) we are able to move the rice coal from an outside bulk bin to the stoker hopper inside via 2" pipe simply by throwing a switch. In my case the shop vac is showing its age and I need to tap the pipe to get it going. Your hubby would have fun designing it!

You could load up the outside bin with the skid steer.

Catlingrl

Post by Catlingrl » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Thank you. Yes, Have smoke, heat, and carbon mono sensors both floors, hope they are good. Hubby was pulled into the ones that advertise via a dinner at Red Lobster for presentation, I still in disbelief he did it...$$$$! Air from hopper is noticeably nasty today, yuk. It ran pretty hot for couple hours. Any suggestions to use the lid and not get so much moisture? Get coal dry just to have it get soaked in the hopper.
Have barometric damper installed, and cap on existing masonry chimney. Picked up couple large totes to set up 'dryer'.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Catlingrl wrote:Air from hopper is noticeably nasty today, yuk. It ran pretty hot for couple hours. Any suggestions to use the lid and not get so much moisture? Get coal dry just to have it get soaked in the hopper.
Do you know how far open the restrictor plate is on your combustion blower? It is #9 on the parts list on page 38 in your manual. This limits the air intake on the combustion fan so you don't force more air into the stove than can be exhausted out the flue pipe. If you get more air going in than can be exhausted out the flue then it looks for other places to exhaust, like the hopper. If you are using dry coal then the moisture on the hopper lid can be an indicator of exhaust there.

I am not sure how far open the super mag guys usually run their restrictor plates. On my older style mag stoker I run it about 1/2 open.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Mine is 1/2 way.. and she has put the temp probe in the living area upstairs or far away from the stove.. you can add as many feet to the wire if needed to get it there. Set the dial for room temp not stove temp. Feed rate about 2 1/2 .. hot air fan should be around 1/3 open.. the stove will adjust according to demands... I can almost bet she is not set up right.
I open my bags into totes near the stove to dry ..it's in the basement so no big deal.. but I also fill coal hod up with wet coal and set it on top of the stove to dry for the mornings tending .. this way the first hours of demand have driest coal then what's in the hopper after that has a chance to dry up.. I never have condensation so she may have real wet coal... open bags into a tote or two near the stove were it's warm and let it dry out some...ahead of using it..

Catlingrl

Post by Catlingrl » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Wow. Thank you. Yes that intake is wide open. Will change that! I know that was opened all way when we were trying get heat out of it before dealer cleaned up feed parts.
We will more than likely get the sensor moved upstairs at some point.
I appreciate this information very much. Setting up totes tomorrow.
Cold returns Thursday, excited to see how we do keeping warm.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Feb. 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Catlingrl wrote:Wow. Thank you. Yes that intake is wide open. Will change that! I know that was opened all way when we were trying get heat out of it before dealer cleaned up feed parts.
We will more than likely get the sensor moved upstairs at some point.
I appreciate this information very much. Setting up totes tomorrow.
Cold returns Thursday, excited to see how we do keeping warm.
i
Again what has worked for me now for 4 seasons with the Super Mag... Combustion blower flap.. 1/2 open.. Feed rate 2 1/2... Hot air fan dial setting (on side of stove) about 1/3...other wise it will come on strong then shut down and keep repeating... setting it about 1/4 or 1/3 it will come up slowly and steady depending on demand... if high demand is needed it will come on full strength by itself.
Dial on the side of the stove for Room or Stove temp should be on room temp.. put the probe in your living area..(add wire if needed to get it there) set the temp on the side you might like for a starter then give the stove about 12 hrs to adjust and figure it self and ambient conditions to do it's job... adjust slightly if you need a warmer area or less. Don't go by the readings on the side exactly.. it is just a general idea.. use a thermometer in your living area.. to go by..

I start mine up Oct 1 here and shut it down in April sometime.. temps swing wild here from 40 below to 40 above within a day sometimes.. the stove which I leave running on a set temp 24/7 ( I don't keep turning up and down to save a few pounds) ..the stove keeps me within a degree or two no mater what the outside temps do. Awesome product... My home is 2000 sq ft cape.. stove is in the cellar.. front of stove it totally blocked.. all hot air is sent up via insulated ducting to a register in the living area.. basement door is left open.. cold air goes down the basement stairway..warm air off the stove heats the basement nicely and even lets warm air up the stairs over the cold air coming down to the living area... being a Cape the stair way is in the center of the home.. so this works...

Catlingrl

Post by Catlingrl » Wed. Feb. 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Thank you. We do plan to get the transfer kit and direct hot air up to living room.
Since husband can't get down stairs, we don't use that area like once did.
In order to get comfortable upstairs, basement is VERY warm, works until we get
transfer kit, ducting, etc. Have register cut in floor right over the stove, fan in register
pulls heat up to living room, has work for us many years with wood stoves.
Since making suggested changes of intake etc, we kept 70+ up here
without the odor had previously and hopper appears to be much dryer.
Very thankful for all information. Surely we will be back with questions again.

bcdex
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS 100 Coal/Wood bolier

Post by bcdex » Wed. Feb. 08, 2017 6:49 pm

I have bag coal and it's very wet. My boiler is in the basement. I put plywood on the floor, dumped two bags of coal on it. The pile on the right is dry, while using it, the pile on the left is drying. When pile on right is gone, I rake the left side over and it's dry. Then I dump another wet bag on the left to dry. Works great.

Attachments

IMG_20170208_183637.jpg
.JPG | 66KB | IMG_20170208_183637.jpg

Catlingrl

Post by Catlingrl » Wed. Feb. 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Finished basement so prefer containment. But that is a great system you have.
I have been pouring from bags into couple buckets, pouring top off as drys into hopper. Just since comment and reading replies here, we are running 100% better than before. Was feeling like I had a lemon, turns out just needed this forum.
Feeling accomplished, found an old electric drill, have put several holes in one gray tote (50gal). Just need decide what will use to raise off bottom lower tote. Hubby says there is some smaller bricks around, will find them and see how that works.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 2:40 am

Catlingrl wrote:Finished basement so prefer containment. But that is a great system you have.
I have been pouring from bags into couple buckets, pouring top off as drys into hopper. Just since comment and reading replies here, we are running 100% better than before. Was feeling like I had a lemon, turns out just needed this forum.
Feeling accomplished, found an old electric drill, have put several holes in one gray tote (50gal). Just need decide what will use to raise off bottom lower tote. Hubby says there is some smaller bricks around, will find them and see how that works.
I have 2 of the largest blue totes from walmart.. the water that goes to the bottom evaporates in time.. I take from the upper layers of Rice that has been in it.. and if it was just put in and real wet I put it in a hod and place on top of the stove to dry for the next load..

A block kit on the stoves forced air and force it up stairs via a insulated ducting will make a world of difference.. my down stairs stays at 68 deg just from the heat off the stove sides... even when temps get down to below zero. I did put steel ducting for the first 10 feet from the stove then tied that into the flex ducting so some heat will come off the pipe and cool the air a little as it comes out of the stove so hot..

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 7:05 am

captcaper wrote: I did put steel ducting for the first 10 feet from the stove then tied that into the flex ducting so some heat will come off the pipe and cool the air a little as it comes out of the stove so hot
Very good advice! I used metal ducting off the stoker in the workshop to send some heat to the upstairs of the garage and kept a 1" gap between it and the drywall on the ceiling. That duct was HOT and I was a little nervous about it being right against the paper on the drywall.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 7:08 am

Catlingrl wrote:we are running 100% better than before.
Good to hear things are working much better for you!! :dancing: There's a lot of practical experience here and any questions are welcomed...we are happy to help.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”