Channing Question

tw230

Post by tw230 » Mon. May. 12, 2008 7:39 pm

There is a used Channing for sale near me. The person knows very little about it and has not seen it in operation. He has no idea the year or if it works. Is there problems that would be unseen and not worth looking into it or what should I look for? I think I can get it pretty cheap. Thanks

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Mon. May. 12, 2008 11:18 pm

First of all these stoves are built like a tank so if you can get it rather cheaply and have some mechanical ability you should be fine with it. There are 3 different generations of the channing stove the first 2 I belive are tri burner type so you would hope when you plug in the feeder/combustion motor the carpet moves and the combustion fan blowsair through the grate. The grate if badly worn or cracked can be had for about $80-$100 and glass is about $75. The gen. 3 stoves use a paddle feed ( easy fire burner) check and see if both fans work and the paddle pivots back and forth. The feed motor is about $150 and the fans are a little less.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. May. 13, 2008 6:09 am

Unless it has been run over by a steamroller or dropped off a roof it can be rescued. :D The stoker mechanism is fairly simple and easily repaired.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. May. 13, 2008 8:47 am

I would not hesitate to buy it.. the collective knowledge on the forum and a few hours of work, and you should be burning coal.. Even if you decide the stove isn't for you,, if the price is right, [ I'll say less than $400 ] Then BUY IT providing the motors and fans run when you plug it in.. Even if you decide it isn't for you then you can sell it quick on the forum classifieds.

If you can, take some digital photos and post them here. I think used coal stoves are going to get scarce and more expensive over the next few years !!

Greg L

cheapheat

Post by cheapheat » Tue. May. 13, 2008 6:23 pm

This might be common knowledge but if the motors on the channing just hum and don't take right off give the cooling fans a nugde. My stove is the most neglected stove in central new york and sometimes the bearings get a little dry, If I shut it down for a couple days like now but need a little heat sometimes the Direct vent motor wont turn until I have a chat with it.

Jim

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”