Channing III Smoke From Hopper and Sulfur Smell

Jumpmanmj

Post by Jumpmanmj » Mon. Nov. 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Well, just today I got a horrible smell of sulfur and moisture in the hopper. There was smoke coming from the hopper and the coal was very warm. No fire or red coals at all in the hopper. I have had this smell in the past but it has not happened since I raised the control to 3. Starting to think my brick chimney is just too small. Any help?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Nov. 28, 2016 9:04 pm

A manometer would help you diagnose your trouble. Cheap, easy to install. There are others but this one is usually the least expensive.

Dwyer Mark II model 25

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Nov. 28, 2016 9:15 pm

Lightning wrote:A manometer would help you diagnose your trouble. Cheap, easy to install. There are others but this one is usually the least expensive.

Dwyer Mark II model 25
He ordered a magnahelic. Would be nice to see numbers.

Jumpmanmj

Post by Jumpmanmj » Mon. Nov. 28, 2016 9:24 pm

I had an issue with the purchase and unfortunatley have not received the magnahelic. I should be getting one soon.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Mon. Nov. 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Is the fire burning high on the grate up near the hopper?
How old are the grate gaskets?
Post the draft measurements asap

Jumpmanmj

Post by Jumpmanmj » Mon. Nov. 28, 2016 9:42 pm

No, the fire is not burning high on the grate. Not sure how old the gaskets are but they all look in good shape.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 8:27 am

make sure the hopper lid is clean where it seals, if there is coal pieces or fines it will pull air through the coal causing it to burn in the hopper, check for fines build up under the grate, make sure the stack is clear of fly ash and check your door gaskets. One more thing the combustion fan can get dust built up on the blades, vacuum them off as well. Keep the hopper full to.

Bk

Jumpmanmj

Post by Jumpmanmj » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 8:54 am

Any idea the size gaskets on the channing III? I really would like to light this again. Quite cold without it on. I cleaned all the ash out. Not much in the pipes

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 8:57 am

A big +1 especially hopper lid--either flat or 1/2 inch gasket I'd imagine.
bksaun wrote:make sure the hopper lid is clean where it seals, if there is coal pieces or fines it will pull air through the coal causing it to burn in the hopper, check for fines build up under the grate, make sure the stack is clear of fly ash and check your door gaskets. One more thing the combustion fan can get dust built up on the blades, vacuum them off as well. Keep the hopper full to.

Bk

Jumpmanmj

Post by Jumpmanmj » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 9:06 am

It seems I get the moisture problem only when lid is completely on. So 1/2" for both doors. Also, should the coal feel warm in the hopper?

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 10:07 am

Jumpmanmj wrote:It seems I get the moisture problem only when lid is completely on. So 1/2" for both doors. Also, should the coal feel warm in the hopper?
Moisture on the inside of the lid is a problem. That means your stove is not venting correctly, I believe they said that an overpressurized firebox will do it also.

You need a manometer, you have a big problem that can turn deadly in a hurry.

Is your house real tight? Have you opened a window near the stove to see if the problem goes away?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Not necessarily so Don. When we got weather like we're having, I get occasional moisture on the inside of my hopper door & my draw will suk the freckles of a good lookin babe's boobs!! :) I'm thinkin good gaskets/seals will remedy that. YES, coal in the hopper will feel warm--if ya get flames--THEN ya got a big problem! ;) Make sure your CO detectors are functioning.

Jumpmanmj

Post by Jumpmanmj » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 12:36 pm

freetown fred wrote:Not necessarily so Don. When we got weather like we're having, I get occasional moisture on the inside of my hopper door & my draw will suk the freckles of a good lookin babe's boobs!! :) I'm thinkin good gaskets/seals will remedy that. YES, coal in the hopper will feel warm--if ya get flames--THEN ya got a big problem! ;) Make sure your CO detectors are functioning.
What gaskets do you think? Grate or doors? Also, alaska is saying 3/4" on doors? Also, is there anyway to clean below the grate without removing it? I do seem some ash there. If I have to remove the grate would that gasket still be good?

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Jumpmanmj wrote:What gaskets do you think? Grate or doors?
It's your stove and you can do what you like, but you've had problems for a couple of weeks and It might be a good idea to replace all the gaskets. Then if you have the problem again, you know to look elsewhere for the problem.

Jumpmanmj

Post by Jumpmanmj » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I fired it back up after a cleaning. Below the grate was totally full. I will give it a shot and see what happens. I have 4 co detectors installed
Last edited by Jumpmanmj on Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”