Can I Power Vent a Hyfire Out My Basement Window?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. May. 15, 2008 9:04 am

Well, Europachris has a direct vent. I messaged him and he was kind enough to put an ammeter on it. It draws 79 watts! Far less than than 1.77 amps (212 watts). Maybe the new powerventers are different, a rheostat would lower them some, but the one I had ran one speed, wide open. So, with my electric rates, a powerventer would cost $27 a month, a direct vent, $10.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. May. 15, 2008 11:24 am

A direct vent is not adjustable like a powerventer,, and a barometric damper can be set up with a powervent, and a manometer set up to read the actual draft in the flue... With a direct vent there is a hole in the pipe prior to the direct vent... a pretty crude method to control draft.

The big issue is the direct vent flue pipes are under pressure,, and must be sealed with sealant and wrapped with tape to prevent Carbon Monoxide leaking into the house, BUT the pipes must be cleaned a few times a season as well.. so taking apart, cleaning the resealing is a pain. Powerventer pipes are under a slight vacuum, so a perfect seal of the joint is not a health or safety issue.

Greg L

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. May. 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Powerventers need cleaning too and it's a real pain to do so! Been there, done that. Best thing.... chimney!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. May. 15, 2008 2:05 pm

HI Freddy,, you have that 100% right,, I'm all in favor of simple, no electicity masonry chimneys !!

Greg L

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”