Just Got a Harman Super Magnum Stoker

mastiffdude
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: ,Harman supermagnum stoker
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: small cannon heater,1910
Baseburners & Antiques: Quick Time #5,1897
Coal Size/Type: rice,stove,nut

Post by mastiffdude » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Its got a huge feedramp 9" wide.I used a manometer and set the baro damper and tightened the blower restriction plate to allow only .04-.06 in of water column to come into the firebox.My draft is .06-.08 Its a monster and could probably heat a warehouse. I had been using a old Alaska fireplace insert stoker but it never gave off enough heat in the very cold.I still have that Quick time # 5 that I restored and it now sits in My wifes jewelry shop on Main St in Hawley PA. If any of you ever get around Hawley take look at it.Its done to working status and is beautiful.well its good to be back on here had some medical issues that worked themselves out Have a Happy Thanksgiving and hello to all my friends on here who helped in my restoration work.

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like a heat monster.

mastiffdude

Post by mastiffdude » Tue. Nov. 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Im back after an absence.My Harman supermagnum was giving me electrical problems, the motherboard board has 3 potentiometers
and people say they get worn out.Well i had them replaced but the stove is not acting right.The only way i get it to run half decent is on TEST!. The guy who soldered min my pots said there's a resistor on the board that can go bad too.Anybody dealt with that? Would love to hear . Thanks Jim

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Nov. 06, 2018 8:51 pm

My guess is the variable potentiometers are there to be balanced somehow. Otherwise they could just be resistors. So if there is another pot that is suspect in the system you could speculate they are part of a Wheatstone bridge. Does this control the thermocouple in the exit breach like the DVC? How do you balance the system? As Harman baled out of the coal market, is there a set up manual somewhere? I am smelling the old DVC problem here. How did you deduce the pots needed replacing in the first place. Can you just replace/locate the whole board like the DVC?

Is this ithttps://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/harman-circuit-boar ... -06142.htm

Captcaper has one of these. Also Alternate Heating Systems bought out Harman can they help?

Shame, pretty stove.

Naffan

Post by Naffan » Thu. Nov. 08, 2018 2:56 am

I would check resistors first

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Nov. 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Naffan , are you one of those advertisers that were on Ebay making a business of repairing boards.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Nov. 08, 2018 8:28 pm

So you changed the pots... like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-100k-Harman-Pellet-Sto ... rk:22:pf:0

Now we test the resistors on the board ... I agree.

Now is this the DVC circuit complete with ESP thermistor control that Harman changed as they could not make it work?

As you can see, you got my attention as my DVC is 10 years old and every winter is a nightmare wondering.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 5:20 am

My Super Mag has been flawless now for 8yrs . And I turn it on Oct 1st and never shut it off until April sometime.
Don't know about the control boards. I know it needs to have a demand for heat to start up and go. Once going it runs no matter what the temps are.

mastiffdude

Post by mastiffdude » Wed. Apr. 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Ok, after fighting with the stove all winter,I have decided to get a new control board for next year.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Apr. 08, 2019 7:08 pm

If it'll help. Mines in the basement. Bought it new 6yrs ago. Running perfectly still. Replaced grates once. I have mine set up with the feed at 2 1/2 tops. Room probe not stove temp. The front air ports are blocked sending all the hot air up the pipe to the room up stairs. I extended the wire about 20 ft. Made no difference really. Blower for hot air to the rooms from stove out port set at about 1/2 open. Combustion blower screen plate open 5/8 of the way maybe 2/3rds the most.

ericcjack

Post by ericcjack » Sat. Oct. 23, 2021 3:20 pm

I just got a new Legacy Super Magnum Stoker too. I had the old Magnum Stoker for 12 years, LOVED IT! So I thought I'd try the SUPER. Well, I can't get the old girl down to 5,000 BTU, not even close! My house is 80 degrees! I have EVERYTHING back to the lowest settings! I smoked thru 2 bags of coal in 3 days! OUCH! Any suggestions?
I've noticed the Combustion and the distribution blowers NEVER TURN off, seems odd to me.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Oct. 27, 2021 5:56 pm

ericcjack wrote:
Sat. Oct. 23, 2021 3:20 pm
I just got a new Legacy Super Magnum Stoker too. I had the old Magnum Stoker for 12 years, LOVED IT! So I thought I'd try the SUPER. Well, I can't get the old girl down to 5,000 BTU, not even close! My house is 80 degrees! I have EVERYTHING back to the lowest settings! I smoked thru 2 bags of coal in 3 days! OUCH! Any suggestions?
I've noticed the Combustion and the distribution blowers NEVER TURN off, seems odd to me.
How did you make out? If still an issue what is your settings on the control board and are you going by room temp or probe temp.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”