Keystoker Not Burning Right HELP

TAMNOZ

Post by TAMNOZ » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 6:18 am

Last winter my Keystoker didn't seem to be producing the heat that it did the previous 3 years. I was talking to a dealer at the Bloomsberg Fair this fall and he said to blow out the grates real well but not to remove them or I would have to recement them. So I removed the blower off the rear of the unit and had a freind hold the vacuum hose there while I took an air hose and blew down through all the little grate holes. Last nite my neighbor came over and we lit the stove to check the performance, We realized that the feed was only working by the timer and not by the thermostat. So I jumped out the the thermostat which engaged the coal feed full time, but after an hour I still only have a small flame not a big one like I used to have. Any help would be greatly appreciated, its starting to get cold and when momma's cold nobodies happy.
Thanks Jim

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 6:35 am

First thing you should do is change the batteries in the thermostat, if any. Clear the grate holes with 1/8" drill bit. Anything blocking the hole at bottom of hopper? How's the stroke on the pusher block? Air leaks? Did you install light bulb, or cubical heater during shut down? Makes a big difference at start-up time.

I reread your post. Looks like this is your fourth year running the unit. It's probably time to tear the stoker down, and go through it. Very easy job. Basically, tear apart, clean, and re-seal. You get a real understanding of your stoker, and how things work. Not to mention; a real piece of mind knowing everything is up to snuff.

the duck

Post by the duck » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 8:38 am

Hello,
I use a Koker Lite, and just lit the furnace for the first time yesterday. The flame seems shorter than last year (this is my third year using the furnace), and seems to be struggling to significantly raise the overall temperature in the house. After reading your post from last year, it sounded similar to my situation. Could you tell me how you ultimately solved your problem?
Thanks for your time,
Matt

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Depending on your thermostat (manual or digital) make sure it's calling for heat, it should click the stoker on. Digital ones if the battery is low or dead, it may not trip the stoker unit. If a manual thermostat, make sure it's turn up enough to call for heat.

Like he said, proper maintenance/cleaning is always good each year. i;m going on 15+ years with my keystoker.
The holes in the grate should be cleaned used a drill bit or piece of wire that fits the holes good and pushed all the way down, sometimes compressed air can't clean them out good, if the ash is packed in there or burnt. a lot of little things that can affect the way it burns, mostly keeping the grate holes cleaned, the fins on the blower cleaned, make sure if theres a cover on the inlet to the combustion blower it's set correctly and not blocking air flow. Make sure under the grate is cleaned out good too, that affect the air thru the holes.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”