Humidifiers Any Suggestions, Integrated in Duct Not a Option

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 2:26 pm

I have a Keystoker90 in my basement family room. It is setup somewhat like a furnace, 6 inch duct off the top feeding a Panasonic FV-20NLF1 inline fan that circulates 220 cfm to the upstairs, serving the bedrooms. The return air basically is the basement door opened and using that stairwell. I am searching for an evaporative style humdifier, that will be located next to the stove. We also have a 2 inch outside air intake near the stove, and a bedroom window cracked all nite so our air tends to get pretty dry. Static electricity runs high in the middle of winter, shocking the cat everytime you pet her :shock: Any ideas or suggestions.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Get a big console model. It doesn't have to be near the stove, moisture wicks through the air much easier than heat.

ElCamMan515
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker K-Lite
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea Anthracite

Post by ElCamMan515 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 4:10 pm

I have an idylis unit from lowes. During dead of winter with both the Surdiac and K-lite my house can get get quite dry, but the idylis unit keeps humidity around 50%. I use about 6-7 gallons of water per 24 hours.

Tim

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 4:23 pm

I run 2 small ultrasonic cool mist units throughout the winter. One in my kids bedroom and one on the other end of the house by the stove. I used to use units that require wicking filters but replaced them with ultrasonic units, much easier to keep clean and maintain. I do notice a difference with them running. Not sure exactly how much electric they eat though!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 5:54 pm

a lot of us use them too, quite a few other threads on them. I use a 10 gallon console type in the living, sometimes a small one in bedroom if needed.

Do You Use a Humidifier?

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 11:31 am

The ultrasonics are great, unless you have hard water. Even with a water softener everything in the house ends up with white dust all over it. A big pot on top of the stove or an evaporative type unit works great in my opinion.

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Sat. Nov. 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:The ultrasonics are great, unless you have hard water. Even with a water softener everything in the house ends up with white dust all over it. A big pot on top of the stove or an evaporative type unit works great in my opinion.
Completely agree. I liked the ultrasonics because they are silent but the white dust was unbelievable - and very bad for electronics/computers.

I picked up a smallish evaporative Kenmore on sale a few years ago and it works very well. I get the wicks at Wal-Mart - about 1/3 the price - and they work perfectly fine. It'll go through five or six gallons per day if I run it on high.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”