Looking to Buy an Old Stove.

AmtrakJohn

Post by AmtrakJohn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 10:07 am

Hey everyone. This is my first post. I am looking to purchase a coal stove and I read elsewhere on this forum that earlier stoves can be just as effective as new ones. I'm going to attach a couple of photos of a stove I'm looking at. I would appreciate your input!! Thanks! - John

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 10:17 am

Hi! Welcome to NEPA!!

My advice is DO NOT RUSH the buying process. Do your homework and ask questions here on NEPA. There is a wealth of knowledge with the members here and you will get honest answers to your questions. Sooner or later the right stove at the right price will present itself. Chance always favors the prepared. :D

AmtrakJohn

Post by AmtrakJohn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 10:29 am

Scratch that, it sold. How about this one? The ad states:

Enterprise Oak #215 wood / coal stove. Produced by Phillips & Buttorff Mfg. Co. Nashville during the late 1800's.

Seperates into two sections when removing two machine bolts/washers/nuts. Easily transported and serviced.

Cleaned and reassembled with several coats of stove paint. All joints sealed.

New gaskets.

New refractory cement lining in fire box.

Polished metal heat guards, draft adjusters and top finial.

45 inches toatal height.

6" flue.

The base where the legs rest on the floor is 19 x 19 inches.

AmtrakJohn

Post by AmtrakJohn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 10:31 am

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Hi! Welcome to NEPA!!

My advice is DO NOT RUSH the buying process. Do your homework and ask questions here on NEPA. There is a wealth of knowledge with the members here and you will get honest answers to your questions. Sooner or later the right stove at the right price will present itself. Chance always favors the prepared. :D
Thanks Dollar! I am all about knowledge and making a quality purchase. I love these forums and the information you all provide. I will certainly take all of the advice I can get!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 10:42 am

A, if ya don't post prices, it's gonna be real tough to know if your getting a fair deal or not. Lotsa of antigue stove guys here. PLUS--finish your profile, I promise, nobody'll steal ya!!!

AmtrakJohn

Post by AmtrakJohn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 10:46 am

This one is $425, Fred! I will do the profile now!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 11:18 am

This one is a small one for a small space only.

What do you want to heat and what is the budget?

Where is going, basement, garage, living room?

AmtrakJohn

Post by AmtrakJohn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 11:29 am

I would really like a sizealble stove to put in the basement so that I can keep the oil burner on low. I would like something that I could get maybe a 12 hour burn out of. My house is 2400 Sf, built in 1920. I would like to stay under/around $6-700.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Welcome.

How's the heat going to get from the basement to the upper floor, or floors ?

I had a potbelly coal stove in the basement of my last house - a two story of about 1500 SF.

The basement was always nice and warm. At the top of the open basement stair well into the kitchen, it was a bit warmer and the first floor wood floors were a bit warmer in stocking feet, but being in the basement, the stove couldn't do much to warm the first and second floors. Still had to run the oil burner. And, what I saved on oil was about what I spent on coal.

Now, with a more efficient coal range in the kitchen at the rear of the first floor, and a way to circulate some of that heat upstairs by convection, I'm heating as much space as my last house, and it does a better job of it. Plus, it gets a lot colder here in CNY than where I lived on the south shore of Long Island.

The down side is this house is broken up by more than twice as many rooms and is three times the size. The coal stove takes care of the rear third of the house, about equal to your 2400 SF, so I'm putting another, bigger parlor type base heater coal stove in for the front section of the house. One with a 16 inch firepot and it circulates the heat under the stove before exhausting it to a central chimney. There will be another floor/ceiling register over the stove to the bedroom hallway upstairs. That should handle the heat load of both floors.

I think you should rethink putting a small to medium sized stove (12-14 inch diameter firepot) in the basement and expect it to heat 2400 sf of house.

Paul

AmtrakJohn

Post by AmtrakJohn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Paul, thanks for clarifying the size of the stove that I need. To answer the distribution question: I actually have a 96 year old central vac system in my house. I believe if I connect a sizable inline fan to the ductwork for the vac, it would nicely distribute the heat to both floors! Just a theory at the moment, but I think it's sound :-)

AmtrakJohn

Post by AmtrakJohn » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 7:45 am

How about something like this? **Broken Link(S) Removed**

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 8:08 am

[quote= "AmtrakJohn"]How about something like this? **Broken Link(S) Removed**[/quote]

That Sunbeam is an interesting piece, it looks like is was made to fit into a corner, unless it's an optical illusion. If the firebox size was known, the guys on here could give an idea of the BTU output.

Attachments

sunbeam1.jpg
.JPG | 20.2KB | sunbeam1.jpg
sunbeam.jpg
.JPG | 18.1KB | sunbeam.jpg

AmtrakJohn

Post by AmtrakJohn » Fri. Nov. 18, 2016 6:22 pm

Hey guys, I got some information on that Sunbeam stove from the previous post. It is four and a half feet tall by 25 by 25. The fire pit is supposedly 12 inches deep by 16 or 17 inches across. Is this the type of stove that I would want? The guy sounds like he's willing to do business. I think I might be able to get it for around 300 or 350. What do you think? Thanks!/size]

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Need more pix. Grates/inside--sides (shaker) If she's in good shape, I'm thinkin she'd work real well for ya. That's a pre-pix opinion X.

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » Thu. Oct. 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Re: Looking for information on Enterprise oak MFG Nashville #319

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”