Spring to Summer Transition?

josh_g
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by josh_g » Tue. May. 10, 2016 1:53 am

With this being our first spring to summer with the Keystoker Koker, seams the house might be too warm at times. Finally turned the T stat back a bit, about 4 hrs ago. We will see what that does for the feel of the house knowing it might take awhile. Curious what others do around this time frame? I did some searching but only found stuff about boilers. Currently we do not have the water hooked up to our stove, hopefully a summer project, but I got to get some schooling on that too! I haven't touched my feed rate once dialed in the colder months, was at 5 -6 turns out from max. I have not touched my timer pins from where they where set from stove set up.

Currently 55 degrees out now, house is 73. T stat thinks we are at 70, T stat now set to 67. ( Honeywell dial t stat off about 3 degrees) T stat previously set at 70, wait for temps to drop.
Shes been at idle most of the time this last week or so.

Maybe start setting temps back during the day while at work? Previously at 70 and have not touched it since the stove was fired up

Thought by now I might have it off, but still a little chilly at night, 2 weeks ago I did turn it off but after being used to 73 all winter, we hit 65 at night into the am and I wasn't a fan :D

I have not had one complaint about the stove, well except the glass. I gave up trying to keep that nice. A warm glow it is. Its a little messy in the basement but nice and toasty when its freezing out.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Tue. May. 10, 2016 7:17 am

josh_g wrote:. Curious what others do around this time frame?
Windowstats ;)

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. May. 10, 2016 7:39 am

This is where a handfired stove shines like a diamond ring. I lit off my stove on 1/3 to 1/2 of the firebox. I left the otherside ashed up and only deashed the left half. Started it on match light charcoal and then added coal. Been burning like that for 3 days now. Just enough at night to take the damp and the chill out.

josh_g
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by josh_g » Tue. May. 10, 2016 10:51 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:
Windowstats ;)
I like that idea :D

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. May. 18, 2016 10:05 pm

I would think you could pull more pins out of the timer. How many pins now? This time of year, you need just enough pins to keep a minimum idle fire. And, of course, lower the thermostats.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. May. 26, 2016 7:30 pm

So far for my Spring to Summer transition, all I have done is turn the thermostat down.

And shut down the boiler in the garage.

-Don

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. May. 26, 2016 7:54 pm

I shut The KAA-4-1 down last week and put the canned air machine in the window
this afternoon.

Tomorrow I find out about the $$$$bad news and how much its going to cost me for
a new capacitor and coil for the Riello burner that the plumbers ruined added to the cost of
the control module that they fried and just cost me $150.00 to replace.

After all that I will remove the oil burner, clean the boiler and vacuum the interior while running a brush through everything. I may just borrow my brothers air compressor and use the shop vac and the dust deputy to suck it all up while I am cleaning everything. It will be easy enough to snake the shop vac hose in from the chimney and into the flue pipe. After all that I can get rid of all the bags of ashes and other garbage I need to get rid of.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”