Bulk Chemical Totes for Coal Storage?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Fri. Feb. 12, 2016 11:46 pm

Just wondered if anyone uses bulk chemical storage totes to hold coal? You know the 250 gallonish plastic tote with a steel cage around it? I was just thinking of a cheat easy way to transport bulk coal on my flatbed instead of using my dump trailer. I can only haul 5 ton in my dump trailer but I have a tandem dually flatbed trailer I could get at least 10 totes on which I figure could hold 1 ton per tote? That way I could get a years supply in one trip. I would plan on cutting the top off so it would be open....Thoughts???

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 3:48 am

Thats what I have the coal for my cookstove stored in.....the one i'm using is an ISO standard bulk pod that originally held 1000 liters of engine coolant......i can just squeeze 3/4 of a ton of nut sub-bit coal into it......how much coal you can get into one depends on the size and density of your chosen coal.....one person I know in a different part of the country can get over a ton in his ones with room to spare....

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 7:40 am

McG has pics of his tote set up in this thread....others have also used them. You have to make sure you have the equipment at home to move them heavy suckers off the flatbed! Move them into place near the boiler, auger or vac from the tote to the hopper and you are all set! While diesel is cheap it's more economical buying in bulk like that than bagged on pallets.

Coal Bin Designs

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 8:47 am

You would also drill a bunch of holes in the bottoms to let the water out of you are getting it straight from the breaker. After they are filled, you park the truck for 10-15 minutes and let them drain. Don't need to pay for all the water. :D

swyman

Post by swyman » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Scottscoaled wrote:You would also drill a bunch of holes in the bottoms to let the water out of you are getting it straight from the breaker. After they are filled, you park the truck for 10-15 minutes and let them drain. Don't need to pay for all the water. :D
That is some great advice that I didn't even think about! Thank you!

swyman

Post by swyman » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Check this out!!! I am in farm country and talking to my brother in law about this he told me about these bulk seed bins. They would be perfect because they have a sliding door underneath them to let material out! I could build a rack to set them on and gravity feed into the hopper! Not sure on cost but have a very close friend who is a very large seed salesman!

Attachments

thumb-seed-boxes.png
.PNG | 188.9KB | thumb-seed-boxes.png

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”