Alaska 140 Auger Ash Pan Mods??

xaos
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker 1
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by xaos » Mon. Feb. 01, 2016 9:09 am

Anyone do a ash pan mod on the Alaska 140 auger >>
Ashes don't really end up in pan very well, looking to see if anyone successfully made a mod for this minor issue..

mdrelyea
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice/Nut

Post by mdrelyea » Mon. Feb. 08, 2016 1:13 pm

While I haven't done any mods to mine, I have the same problem. I have thought about making a new, larger pan. I would make it as wide and long as I could. The ash pan door would be what limits the size. The pan that comes with the furnace probably has about an inch? of clearance on each side when going through the doorway.

The other problem I have is that 3/4 of the ashes fall off the back of the fire pot. You'd think they'd fall off evenly distributed around the circumference of it but they don't. That leads to the back of the pan being over full and then when I pull the pan out, the mound of ash in the back of the pan gets scraped off by the top of the ash pan door opening. I have a long, flat ash shovel that works perfectly for pulling the ash forward in the pan (by reaching the shovel in through the upper door) before I pull it out. It also works very well to clean out the floor on the inside of the furnace before I reinstall the ash pan.

xaos
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker 1
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by xaos » Tue. Feb. 09, 2016 9:24 am

Same issues here.
I reach in with a long shovel to redistribute the ashes some on occasion.
I was thinking about modding the inside of the ash fenders for lack of better terms.
There are the slanted deflectors to aim the ash into the pan, my thoughts are to extend them some with plated steel this off season..
What are your thoughts??

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”