Ash Dust!

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 2:08 am

hotblast1357 wrote:Dust Free Ash Pan Dumping

I have the same thing built that I use, not a spec of dust, idk how big your pan is, maybe u could apply this to a 55 gallon drum or something.
Good read!

coaledfeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1982 efm df520
Coal Size/Type: Cornwall rice
Other Heating: VC winterwarm wood

Post by coaledfeat » Sun. Feb. 14, 2016 5:34 pm

:idea: :idea:
swyman wrote:So I thought I had this bright idea being that my Bobcat is parked in front of my boiler to just empty the ash pan into the bucket everyday instead of walking out in the driveway and dumping it. I guess I didn't notice how much dust is in there while dumping outside! So I dump it in my bucket and this huge cloud of coal dust looks like a Hiroshima mushroom cloud that filled my barn, and this stuff is very fine! What do you guys do, especially those who have these in the basement? Maybe now that I have a small pile in the bucket, I can turn the pan over really fast onto the pile so it has nowhere to go then lift it off slowly? I hope there is a better solution.....my teeth are still crunchy!
I thought I be okay with some dust from the ash pan, But a few tries and I realized there had to be a better way. I
finally lined the bushel ash bucket with a trash bag. It had a few pin holes, yet I can pull the top together and gently
roll it into a fresh bag with almost no dust. I can carry a days ashes out with the trash, or slit the bags to release the
contents outside. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Feb. 15, 2016 6:43 am

coaledfeat wrote:
I thought I be okay with some dust from the ash pan, But a few tries and I realized there had to be a better way. I
finally lined the bushel ash bucket with a trash bag. It had a few pin holes, yet I can pull the top together and gently
roll it into a fresh bag with almost no dust. I can carry a days ashes out with the trash, or slit the bags to release the
contents outside. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Thanks for the idea but I have another bay that my lawnmower is parked in outside the walls from my boiler room. It is not heated and I ended up putting a piece of wood under the bobcat bucket and leaving it there by itself and dumping the ashes into there....problem solved and I only have to dump every other day. I should be able to get about 2 weeks before I have to dump the bucket!

ben
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350 with an S-20 pot (1966)
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ben » Mon. Feb. 15, 2016 7:47 am

Last Thursday, I cleaned my unit and got a full tub of fly ash from the back of the boiler and the stack pipe.
Wire brushed the back plates. I use a painters mask and gloves. This can be a dirty job if your not careful. Its amazing how fly ash can accumulate in the elbows of the stack.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”