New Guy With Harman Magnifire Elite Insert

Gunsnmopars
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman magnafire elite insert

Post by Gunsnmopars » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 9:25 am

hey guys new to forums just purchased a like new Harman magnifier elite insert to replace a 1 year old joyful c450 that I just hated to mess with. my question is I have a 6" round m flex s316 smooth wall liner in there now and the magnifier is a 7" oval where can I get an adapter to make it connect. second how do these magnifier inserts put out the heat? I was very unimpressed burning wood in the jot its very messy with no ashpan and the blowers never seemed to be able to really push a lot of heat off the stove..

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 10:41 am

Welcome to The Coal Board ! We're kinda weird here due to the fact that We won't stalk 'Ya ! If You fill out You're profile,it'll help these Fine Folks help You out alot easier. Put in atleast a general geographic area that You're residing in so when Folks respond,they may be able to send You right to a known reputable source for what You'll need. Stick around,as We've got alot of helpfull People that offer direction and Good Advice ! :up:

Gunsnmopars

Post by Gunsnmopars » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 12:59 pm

ok updated. I have been a member at hearth.com and as soon as I started asking about liners and a Harman I got blasted as t why I need to keep my jot and burn wood. and how ill never be able to burn wood in a Harman . however at my camp we have an old Harman insert we made into a free standing and it will absolutely make you sweat in -20 degree outside temps and its a 2000 sf camp .

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Almost all hand fed coal stoves will burn wood. A hand fed wood stove won't burn coal without MAJOR modifications. The Harman will work good for what your talking about. Just be careful not to overfire it.

Even though your talking about wood burning, we'll keep ya anyway. :lol:

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 7:18 pm

blrman07 wrote: Even though your talking about wood burning, we'll keep ya anyway.
Because sooner or later you will recognize the power of the "Dark Side" and the power of the "force" with heating with anthracite! :D :P

Gunsnmopars

Post by Gunsnmopars » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 6:43 am

Thanks for the welcome guys on hearth.com ive been getting really blasted as soon as I said coal and apparently they hate harmans. Where could I find an adaptervto go from. 7" oval to 6" round m flex smooth wall. I really need my liner due to chimney being in real bad shape inside.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 7:08 am

Try Googleing 7 inch oval to 6 inch round. You'll see lots that may even be in your local hardware store. We have a couple of ACE hardware's around us that carry almost every size you can think of. If not anything local you may have to buy it off the internet. If I got it right your in ruffs dale not far from Pittsburg? They should have something there.

Or try

Mark’s Supply 230 S. Main Street Shenandoah, PA 17976
570-462-0748
Email [email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

If they don't have it they can get it.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 7:31 am

Welcome to the forum! As blrman07 mentioned those oval adapters are fairly common.

I believe your harmans have a baffle over the firebox to help divert exhaust so more heat is reclaimed to the stove. Be careful burning wood as it is easy to overfire and overheat this baffle causing it to warp. Over time the deformed baffle can damage the sides of the stove where it is welded or since the welds are strong damage the side of the stove itself by pulling it in due to the warping of the baffle.

This is what did in my first harman, although it lasted about 15 years if I would'a been a bit smarter it would still be functional. The good news is I found the interweb and this forum quite a few years ago and learned a thing or two!

As you probably all ready know it will burn wood but just not nearly as efficiently as a pure wood burner. You may just start liking the long burn times and easier work load of burning coal and convert to the dark side!! If you do burn coal that liner will not last very long as fly ash + moisture + the thin SS liners are a bad mix.

Gunsnmopars

Post by Gunsnmopars » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 7:38 am

Thanks guys my jotul thats in there now I just hate the setup. No ash pan which makes it messy to dig out ash. Blower setup is bad. I can hardly feel air moving while on high. I like the fact the Harman sits out onto hearth and the blower set up of the magnafire is nice. I plan to rebuild my chimney in the next 5 years. So liner will be going.

Gunsnmopars

Post by Gunsnmopars » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 7:43 am

Heres my jotul the eco fan actually works better in my opinion then the blowers. The blowers only blow right to where the fire box sticks out. The Harman blows out of the vents all thecway to the door. Plus the double doors on the jotul are horrible.

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 97.5KB | image.jpeg

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 7:44 am

For future reference since it is useful to have two ash pans....you can make your own or one of the members here has made some heavy gauge versions (better than oem) for a good price. I have bought two myself and they have lasted for years with no corrosion.

rotated....
image.jpeg
.JPEG | 33KB | image.jpeg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 8:02 am

Some have found burning some wood in the early season and the again burning some more wood in the late season has a profound effect on metal liner longevity...seems that a small coating of wood smoke byproducts help to counter the corrosive effect that fly ash has on most metals.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:51 am

Gunsnmopars wrote:Thanks guys my jotul thats in there now I just hate the setup. No ash pan which makes it messy to dig out ash. Blower setup is bad. I can hardly feel air moving while on high. I like the fact the Harman sits out onto hearth and the blower set up of the magnafire is nice. I plan to rebuild my chimney in the next 5 years. So liner will be going.
Welcome friend, there is lots of help and info on this site. I feel your pain on this matter, My old CC350 didn't have a ash pan either and boy was its messy :shock: . After being a 20 year wood burning slave I found the darkside and haven't looked back. You have a very good insert and as long as you treat it well it will heat you well :D and It will put out the heat for a very long time but just remember a freestanding stove will do a better job of getting the heat into the room then a insert.
I reloaded this at 9:00 last night and Its been untouched for over 12 HRS running 550° for that amount of time( Try that with a wood stove )and It will run another 10 to 12 Hrs If I let it but I find its better to tend it every 12 Hrs at this temp.
IMG_0432.JPG
.JPG | 137.3KB | IMG_0432.JPG
I only burn coal in mine ( wood not so good but it is a coal stove ) but I think theres a lot of truth to the coating from burning wood in the spring to help the longevity of SS pipe.
You will find that once you get a system in place Its not a big deal at all and Its only as dirty as you make It.
This Is a pic of the room where the coal stove is
IMG_1049.JPG
.JPG | 120.6KB | IMG_1049.JPG
I do oil my coal so I don't get any black dust and I made a cover for the ash pans so I don't get dusted when I carry it a crossed the house, as with any solid fuel you will have some dust and dirt but not even close as you had with you wood stove. Take care and welcome aboard. :)

Gunsnmopars

Post by Gunsnmopars » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 10:32 am

Thats a beautiful insert you have. And when you run your blower you can feel good heat coming off? Do you have a liner? I am really thinking woods no longer worth the trouble.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks, Oh yes the blower will throw the heat but It has 2-100cfm blowers on it but I rarely run them at full bore (only If the outside temp drops into the single digits) most of the time 1/4 to 3/4 speed, I think the Harman has a 2-75cfm blowers so the air is moving around the same as I run mine. I do heat a 2400 sqft bi-level with 70's windows and insulation with It.
Wood will run hot but not for hrs on end so thats what sold me on coal, I was burning 4 to 5 cords a year plus 150+ gal of oil for heat because I was away from home 14 to 16 hrs a day and the wood would never last that long but Its no problem for coal and a big insert. I'm not trying to sway you to coal but you have a very good coal insert ( I almost bought a Harman but I can't stand the dealers by me so I got the Hitzer 983) designed to burn coal so you may be disappointed if you burn wood in it or maybe not.
No I don't have a SS liner just 8" round clay but I do have 8" 22 ga steel pipe going from the insert right into the clay (long story but my insert is setup like a freestanding stove, If your interested you can search my posts to see)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”