Harman Magnum Stoker Seal Leaked Oil on Floor

Rosanna

Post by Rosanna » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 10:26 am

My husband saw an oil puddle under the stoker motor. He cleaned up all the "oil". Then we started to do some research on here. I found some posts about checking the seal. He went down and saw that the seal had POPPED. He pushed it back in last night and it is ok so far this morning. We hear that the motor can get hot which makes the lubricant leak out. It was suggested to put a muffin fan above the motor. Also someone stated to poke a few holes in the compartment for airflow.
We are at a standstill now and want to know f we need to replace the seal. I tried calling the place where we purchased the stove but they are closed for vacation. The stove is about 6 years old now. We also will need to replace the front glass.
So should we replace the seal and what is needed to do so? Any other suggestions to fix this issue is greatly appreciated.

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 11:33 am

where are you located at , there might be another dealer we can send you to if its the gear box amazon has them for sale

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGV5RA?psc=1 ... AZN3GDIRPZ

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 11:57 am

Good Show,RayJay ! I was takin' a little time rummaging on-line in the original Harman Manual,and yep,no separate component breakdown is shown for Serviceability on the Motor/Gearbox Assembly. If it was me,in order to get going,I'd get it ordered now. You could try to salvage the old unit by trying to get a seal number,or drag the little Monster into a shop that specializes in seals and bearings. That seal popped out for a reason,and with 6 years run time on the unit,it might have issues that may not make it trustworthy. Fortunately,AHS has purchased the remnants of the former Harman Coal Stove Line. AHS Purchases Coal Stove Lineup From Harman!

http://legacystoves.com/

Hope this helps ! Oh,bythe way,Welcome to The NEPA Coal Board ! If we knew where Your approximate location is,We might be able to give You some steerage as where to travel to possibly get a unit off the shelf. Although,I hate to admit it,but Amazon does a pretty decent job. :gee:

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 1:04 pm

ty I have it booked marked because my mag is old and its the only motor part that I did not replace.......

fyi the stove store I use is
Fisher Stove

2049 Sr 6, Factoryville, PA 18419

(570) 836-3343

ask for Dave or his wife should be there, he keeps a lot of parts on hand for the stoves

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 1:39 pm

I run my mag stoker with the motor cover off because of the heat issue you mentioned. Makes it easy to vac out the dust / fines from in there too.

Where are you located? I have loaned out my spare stoker motor to a neighbor to get them running until theirs was delivered, someone may be close by that would do the same.

Would be a good time to clean the squirrel cages on the two fans and oil those motors too.

Rosanna

Post by Rosanna » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 6:43 pm

Thank you for the welcome! We also use Fisher Stoves in Factoryville.. the seal is still ok as of now. We will see if we can get a new seal.

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Rosanna wrote:Thank you for the welcome! We also use Fisher Stoves in Factoryville.. the seal is still ok as of now. We will see if we can get a new seal.
i don't think a new seal is going to do it , usually its the gear box going south that causes the seal to go

cn670
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice or buck
Other Heating: Wall mount propane, as needed

Post by cn670 » Thu. Dec. 03, 2015 4:41 pm

The other day I left the thermostat all the way up.... The magnum chugged along full throttle for 14 hrs until I got home....... :shock: The lady of the house never checked the thermostat , just opened windows because it was warm. 8-) My seal now leaks, motor was really warm. Just ordered a used replacement on ebay for $78 , cheap insurance in the middle of winter if it totally pukes. If I were you get a replacement on hand and run the original until it dies.

Rosanna

Post by Rosanna » Fri. Dec. 04, 2015 12:17 am

Wow that's a great price for a replacement for the whole gear box! I talked to our dealer today and he said to let it run also. The oil is still in the bottom and it only leaked from the gears. It could run for 2 weeks or five more years. We will get a replacement to have here for when it stops running. We will look online for a good price. The dealer said it could be around $500.00 if we order from them.

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Fri. Dec. 04, 2015 12:20 am

Rosanna wrote:Wow that's a great price for a replacement for the whole gear box! I talked to our dealer today and he said to let it run also. The oil is still in the bottom and it only leaked from the gears. It could run for 2 weeks or five more years. We will get a replacement to have here for when it stops running. We will look online for a good price. The dealer said it could be around $500.00 if we order from them.
double check the part number on the gear box plate to the one on amazon

Arte

Post by Arte » Fri. Dec. 04, 2015 4:37 pm

wow I'm in luck ,this topic happened to me and looking for answers , my Harman is a vf 3000 and it's the pusher motor that's leaking . any guidance would be appreciated

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Sat. Dec. 05, 2015 12:06 am

Arte wrote:wow I'm in luck ,this topic happened to me and looking for answers , my Harman is a vf 3000 and it's the pusher motor that's leaking . any guidance would be appreciated
looked at the pdf of your stoker looks to be the same as the super mag check the part number plate on the motor/gear box to see if it matches the one on amazon

Arte

Post by Arte » Fri. Dec. 18, 2015 4:29 pm

As of last saturday I started my stove after replacing seal in pusher motor and no leaks so far. I also drilled a small hole in fill plug for a vent . Here's hoping I get through the winter !

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”