Alaska Stove - Cast Console III - Not Burning Hot

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 4:27 pm

The rheostat the others speak of is called a auto control box by Alaska, if your stove is about 12 years old you have the older style, silver in color and the knob has no set screw so you can't ajust/calibrate it, it is possible this is bad and feeding coal like it should on 4.5 but not on 3.

Yes set on 4.5 the stove is about max burn and will go thru 100 pound in 24 hours
Make sure that when you pulled the paddle you put it back correctly, if spun 90 degrees the flat part of the paddle will not be facing the grate and not feeding coal correctly it is very easy to make this mistake because the paddle shaft is square and when you drop it in and connect the aluminum block if its off 90 degrees the flat part of the paddle won't rotate from about 11 oclock to 2 oclock.

The pic when set to 3 suggests its not feeding coal correctly almost like its set to 1.5 so either the auto box is bad or something is restricting the coal feed

Kelsey

Post by Kelsey » Sat. Jan. 14, 2017 9:21 am

Greetings,
I have an Alaska Console II coal stove. My question is:
can this (https://www.amazon.com/KBWC-18K-H9011-Mount-Motor-Control/dp/B007YA2YW6)
be used as a replacement control for the electric motor that pushes the coal via the shovel/paddle
into the firebox?
Thanks,
Kelsey

Patton531
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stove
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Patton531 » Sat. Jan. 14, 2017 10:32 am

After some conversations with Alaska Stove - I even wound up talking with the owner - it seems the problem is resolved.

They suspected chimney draw was too strong and that it was pulling heat out of the stove. They said to put a manual damper right above the barometric one.

I followed their advice, and now I'm getting more heat out of the stove than before at the same burn-rates.

Doby

Post by Doby » Sat. Jan. 14, 2017 10:53 am

Patton531 wrote:After some conversations with Alaska Stove - I even wound up talking with the owner - it seems the problem is resolved.

They suspected chimney draw was too strong and that it was pulling heat out of the stove. They said to put a manual damper right above the barometric one.

I followed their advice, and now I'm getting more heat out of the stove than before at the same burn-rates.
Great news! Do you have a manometer to see what draft is?

Doby

Post by Doby » Sat. Jan. 14, 2017 10:55 am

Kelsey wrote:Greetings,
I have an Alaska Console II coal stove. My question is:
can this (https://www.amazon.com/KBWC-18K-H9011-Mount-Motor-Control/dp/B007YA2YW6)
be used as a replacement control for the electric motor that pushes the coal via the shovel/paddle
into the firebox?
Thanks,
Kelsey
No way is the short answer, you should start your own thread that way you'll get more/better answers, not everyone is monitoring this thread its a year old

Patton531

Post by Patton531 » Sat. Jan. 14, 2017 11:53 am

Doby wrote:
Patton531 wrote:After some conversations with Alaska Stove - I even wound up talking with the owner - it seems the problem is resolved.

Great news! Do you have a manometer to see what draft is?
I don't. Wish I did, though.

Doby

Post by Doby » Sat. Jan. 14, 2017 1:09 pm

You should have one so you know what the draft is and to set the baro

https://www.amazon.com/Dwyer-Series-Molded-Plastic-Manometer ... ullets-btf

Donald
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Channing 111

Post by Donald » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 7:34 pm

:roll: I noticed you said you have a exhaust damper. Try adjusting that. Also make absolutely sure your exhaust, including pipes and stove venting is clean. Reduce the draft and check the other items.

ch2112
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Konsole II
Other Heating: Split unit AC/Heat pump

Post by ch2112 » Sun. Jan. 03, 2021 3:33 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh my goodness!!! I know this is an older post but THANK YOU!!!!

We recently installed a gently used Kast Konsole II replacing an old KKII that had rusted through the fire box. We had the exact same issue, low fire, low temp, coal build-up... This was the fix! The chute was not seated properly, causing the air flow to be severely reduced and the coal to build up.

Now have a nice fire going, and a nice warm house. My husband and I thank you!

Patton531

Post by Patton531 » Sun. Jan. 03, 2021 8:54 am

ch2112 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 03, 2021 3:33 am
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh my goodness!!! I know this is an older post but THANK YOU!!!!

We recently installed a gently used Kast Konsole II replacing an old KKII that had rusted through the fire box. We had the exact same issue, low fire, low temp, coal build-up... This was the fix! The chute was not seated properly, causing the air flow to be severely reduced and the coal to build up.

Now have a nice fire going, and a nice warm house. My husband and I thank you!
I'm glad you solved your issue. There's nothing quite like the warmth generated from coal.

Patton531

Post by Patton531 » Sun. Jan. 03, 2021 9:05 am

I wrote back in 2017 saying the problem was solved, but it turned out that it wasn't. Coal continued to build up on the grate. Fire would get somewhat hot then die-down, smothered by coal itself.

In January of 2019 I talked to a chimney expert (he services them for a living). He asked me what had changed since my stove last worked properly. Then it dawned on me. I had installed a stainless steel chimney liner.

He suggested as a test to remove it, which I did. Low and behold my stove is back to normal. It's burning hot as hades without the liner in the chimney.

Turns out Alaska Stove was right. My chimney was drawing too fast. Dampening couldn't slow it down. Something about the liner inside of a perfectly good chimney was causing way too much draft.

brit22staff
Coal Size/Type: Rice coal
Other Heating: Kast console 111

Post by brit22staff » Sun. Sep. 10, 2023 11:54 am

Got The same problem! Got a stove from a mate and it keeps going out! Suspect there's no air coming through to keep it burning!!!!-

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”